1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where should I apply?

1. Nov 17, 2008 #1

So the PGRE scores are finally in, I didn't do aswell as I might of hoped (830, 79th percentile) :frown:, as I'm an international student (UK) and want to do a PhD in HEP Theory, so I was aiming for 900+ for the best schools, I guess.

I'm not really sure what to do now, I have a few UK schools I've applied for anyway so there's always that to fall back on, but I'm wondering after all this effort if I should still apply to some US places? My profile basically is: UK (4 year, undergrad taught) Master's degree, top few in year (so quite high GPA when converted) w/ publication. General GRE scores were 780 Q, 570 V, 5.5 Writing. PGRE 830.

So I'm obviously not getting into Harvard/Princeton/MIT/Caltech/Stanford/Berkeley, is there anywhere that will take me with HEP theory be so uber competitive and being international?

Any advice most appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2008 #2

What's your research experience like?
  4. Nov 17, 2008 #3
    Research experience consists of my fourth year masters project from which the paper was published in JHEP (was HEP-phenomenology related to LHC detection channel though, not 100% theoretical)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?