Apply to US Schools with a PGRE Score of 830?

• Thread starter h0dgey84bc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Apply
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's disappointment with their PGRE score of 830, as they had hoped for a higher score for their PhD application in HEP Theory. They are unsure if they should still apply to US schools, given their profile of a UK undergraduate and master's degree with a high GPA and publication, but lower General GRE scores. They question if there are any schools that would accept them in such a competitive field, especially as an international student. The conversation also mentions the speaker's research experience, which includes a published paper in a related field.
h0dgey84bc
Hi,

So the PGRE scores are finally in, I didn't do as well as I might of hoped (830, 79th percentile) :frown:, as I'm an international student (UK) and want to do a PhD in HEP Theory, so I was aiming for 900+ for the best schools, I guess.

I'm not really sure what to do now, I have a few UK schools I've applied for anyway so there's always that to fall back on, but I'm wondering after all this effort if I should still apply to some US places? My profile basically is: UK (4 year, undergrad taught) Master's degree, top few in year (so quite high GPA when converted) w/ publication. General GRE scores were 780 Q, 570 V, 5.5 Writing. PGRE 830.

So I'm obviously not getting into Harvard/Princeton/MIT/Caltech/Stanford/Berkeley, is there anywhere that will take me with HEP theory be so uber competitive and being international?

Any advice most appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's your research experience like?

Research experience consists of my fourth year masters project from which the paper was published in JHEP (was HEP-phenomenology related to LHC detection channel though, not 100% theoretical)

What is a PGRE score?

A PGRE (Physics GRE) score is a standardized test score that measures a student's knowledge and understanding of physics concepts. It is often used as a requirement for admission to graduate programs in physics in the United States.

What is considered a good PGRE score?

A good PGRE score is typically considered to be above 900, with scores in the 900-990 range being competitive for top programs. However, the definition of a good score may vary depending on the specific program and its admission requirements.

Can I apply to US schools with a PGRE score of 830?

Yes, you can still apply to US schools with a PGRE score of 830. While it may not be considered a competitive score for top programs, there are many schools that have lower score requirements or do not require a PGRE score at all. It is important to research the specific schools and their admission requirements before applying.

How important is the PGRE score in the admissions process?

The PGRE score is one of many factors that admissions committees consider when evaluating applicants. It is not the only factor, and a lower score may be offset by other strengths in an application, such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statement.

Is it possible to retake the PGRE if my score is not competitive?

Yes, it is possible to retake the PGRE if you are not satisfied with your score. However, it is important to carefully consider if retaking the test will significantly improve your score and if it is worth the time and effort. Some schools also have restrictions on how many times an applicant can retake the PGRE, so be sure to check with each program before making the decision to retake the test.