1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where should I go from here?

1. Aug 26, 2007 #1
    My freshman year began at the University of Missouri-Columbia where I was majoring in print journalism. But I hated living there, so I transferred to the University of Washington to finish off my freshman year. While taking some general ed classes, I became interested in geology/earth and space sciences.

In high school, I focused on liberal arts (newspaper editor, AP history and English classes, etc.) while happily neglecting math courses. (Just reaching finite math was a struggle!)

But ES and other physical sciences require three quarters or more of calculus! And then there's the calculus-based physics courses! After talking with an ESS counselor at UW, I decided to withdraw during the fall of 2006 and return home to take remedial math courses at the local community college. There was just no way I would pay out-of-state tuition for lower-division math courses :) The UW, thankfully, makes it easy for students to return after an absence.

I took intermediate algebra in the spring, then trigonometry over the summer, and I start precalculus tomorrow. Next semester I will finally reach calculus. I've also been taking trig-based physics, as certain ESS majors don't require calculus-based physics. They're also good prep should I decide to take calculus-based physics later on. At this point, I don't know if I should major in ESS or physics, though the latter would take longer.

I haven't taken a "real" physics or math course yet. I've aced all of my intro or trig-based science classes, but so what? I'm terrified of taking upper-level physics or geology classes only to discover that I actually hate the subject. I love physics based on my limited experience. And at this point, I'm not interested in grad school, so will a physics B.S. do me any good by itself?

Life, of course, further complicates things. Initially, out-of-state tuition wasn't a financial problem, but things have changed. Now I'm contemplating reapplying to the UCs that I didn't get in to the first time around. UC Davis has a transfer agreement with my community college at least. My fear is that my screwed up academic history (bouncing from college to college) will sink my chances of making it into a UC. Besides, I'll only have one semester of calculus by Fall 2008... Returning to the UW is still very much possible, though not preferred.

So my question is: should I continue grinding away at calculus and physics, even if it will add years to my degree? I'm so flustered with my college experience, with my inane decisions, that I often contemplate giving up and reluctantly finishing off a poli sci major. There are no other courses I can really take until I complete a semester or two of calculus.

Anyone else have a similar experience, with radically changing majors and having to take years of math, physics, etc.?

Thanks for taking the time to read over my little story. I really don't have many people to talk to about this, so every bit helps.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes a physics degree will open up lots of areas to work in - even in earth science.
    One of the things about science is that you can generally work in a more applied area if you have a degree in a physics/maths.
    The trick to deciding if you want to do physics is do you enjoy calculus? A large part of a physics degree is (unfortuantely?) calculus. this is the basis of being able to do quantitaitive work in most areas of physics.

I'm not american so I don't have any advice about courses/institutes/funding etc.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?