1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where should I start?

1. Sep 22, 2010 #1
    I've been working at this problem off and on all day (I come back to it after finishing others hoping I'll get a great idea)... I still have no clue how I should even start. Any hints in the right direction would be most welcome. So, without further ado, here's the question:

Show that the square R(xy):0.9 [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] 1.1, -0.1[tex]\leq[/tex] y [tex]\leq[/tex] 0.1 corresponds to the region R(uv) bounded by arcs of the circles u^2+v^2=e^1.8, u^2+v^2=e^2.2 and the rays v= +/-(tan 0.1)u, u[tex]\geq[/tex] 0, and find the ratio of the area of R(uv) to that of R(xy).

If I'm reading the problem correctly it's essentially a mapping. And I'm pretty sure that a Jacobian determinant will be involved in some way. Do I construct a Jacobian from the forms of R(xy) and R(uv)? But how does that get me the requested ratio?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?