Where should I take my calculus and linear algebra online?

In summary: So I have to take the courses very nearby.I'm looking to spend up to 1300 on mv calc, and 1000 on linear alg.I would rather spend this money for good textbooks than any online course!
cobalt2019
Has anyone taken these two courses online in a self-paced course for credit? If so, where and how was it in terms of quality? How about price? Opinions/thoughts are much appreciated. I'm working and the closest community college is a commute away, so that's out. I'm finding $1100-3000~ for multivariable calc courses and $700-2000~ for linear alg., but it's extremely hard to judge between them. For instance, after looking more closely, it appears that calcampus which offers both is only accredited at the high school level? I'm just trying to look up the rankings of the actual college they're attached to.

University of North Dakota has a 1300 calc III and 700 "intro to linear alg." 2 credit course, but it's ranked in the 200s. The University of Illinois netmath is perhaps too expensive. I'm looking to spend up to 1300 on mv calc, and 1000 on linear alg.

Physics news on Phys.org
cobalt2019 said:
I'm working and the closest community college is a commute away, so that's out. I'm finding $1100-3000~ for multivariable calc courses and $700-2000~ for linear alg., but it's extremely hard to judge between them. For instance, after looking more closely, it appears that calcampus which offers both is only accredited at the high school level?
If the community college is a commute away, then the commute is not stopping you.

Multivariable Calculus and Linear Algebra are more advanced than high school level. They are college or university level.

cobalt2019 said:
Has anyone taken these two courses online in a self-paced course for credit? If so, where and how was it in terms of quality? How about price? Opinions/thoughts are much appreciated. I'm working and the closest community college is a commute away, so that's out. I'm finding $1100-3000~ for multivariable calc courses and $700-2000~ for linear alg., but it's extremely hard to judge between them. For instance, after looking more closely, it appears that calcampus which offers both is only accredited at the high school level? I'm just trying to look up the rankings of the actual college they're attached to.

University of North Dakota has a 1300 calc III and 700 "intro to linear alg." 2 credit course, but it's ranked in the 200s. The University of Illinois netmath is perhaps too expensive. I'm looking to spend up to 1300 on mv calc, and 1000 on linear alg.
I would rather spend this money for good textbooks than any online course!

Khan academy, youtube channels already provide online courses for free. In the end you will need books anyway. Studying is also a matter of time. You cannot read textbooks as you read novels. It takes a lot of pen and paper work in parallel, time to do the exercises and so on.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/self-teaching-gcse-and-a-level-maths.933639/#post-5896947
I would change the book recommendations, as OpenStax is good to find out where you are, but not so good on the subjects themselves. Beside those links in the link above, you can look or ask in our science textbook forum for good books which fit your needs, given that you are willing to describe where you are and where you want to go in your self-study.

Likes archaic
cobalt2019 said:
I'm working and the closest community college is a commute away, so that's out.
Look into online courses offered by community colleges.

Likes berkeman
vela said:
Look into online courses offered by community colleges.
Yeah, it seems like an option these days is to take a class remotely, and only have to actually go there for exams and labs. Does that seem like an option?

EDIT / ADD -- Here is one example of a university with accredited online learning degrees in fields like EE:

https://und.edu/academics/online/index.html

[/QUOTE]
fresh_42 said:
I would rather spend this money for good textbooks than any online course!

Khan academy, youtube channels already provide online courses for free. In the end you will need books anyway. Studying is also a matter of time. You cannot read textbooks as you read novels. It takes a lot of pen and paper work in parallel, time to do the exercises and so on.

I would change the book recommendations, as OpenStax is good to find out where you are, but not so good on the subjects themselves. Beside those links in the link above, you can look or ask in our science textbook forum for good books which fit your needs, given that you are willing to describe where you are and where you want to go in your self-study.

Thanks for the recs! Unfortunately, I need to take these classes for credit as a prereq to grad school. I've already passed MV calc a while ago, but just barely so I need to retake it.

Last edited:
symbolipoint said:
If the community college is a commute away, then the commute is not stopping you.

Multivariable Calculus and Linear Algebra are more advanced than high school level. They are college or university level.
It is for various reasons mainly no car and unreliable transportation. I know, I'm just using that as an example of trying to find a reliable place to take these two classes for credit. I've already passed mv calc, but barely so I need to retake it to show a better grade in anticipation of apply for grad school.

berkeman said:
Yeah, it seems like an option these days is to take a class remotely, and only have to actually go there for exams and labs. Does that seem like an option?

EDIT / ADD -- Here is one example of a university with accredited online learning degrees in fields like EE:

https://und.edu/academics/online/index.html

Yes, as I said above, I've already looked at it.

"University of North Dakota has a 1300 calc III and 700 "intro to linear alg." 2 credit course, but it's ranked in the 200s. The University of Illinois netmath is perhaps too expensive. I'm looking to spend up to 1300 on mv calc, and 1000 on linear alg."

Likes berkeman
cobalt2019 said:
It is for various reasons mainly no car and unreliable transportation. I know, I'm just using that as an example of trying to find a reliable place to take these two classes for credit. I've already passed mv calc, but barely so I need to retake it to show a better grade in anticipation of apply for grad school.
Interesting transportation restrictions. In case you could make it practical and the distance not too excessive, a possible choice could be bicycle. Not ideal, because of weather changes or in case excessive distance or traffic conditions.

symbolipoint said:
Interesting transportation restrictions. In case you could make it practical and the distance not too excessive, a possible choice could be bicycle. Not ideal, because of weather changes or in case excessive distance or traffic conditions.
My biking skills aren't great, never biked in traffic before. Maybe in a place with better biking infrastructure, but not here. It's not a big deal to get a ride for a proctored exam or two, but meeting for a brick and mortar class would be an issue.

Consider NetMath is a program within UIUC. The course itself is within your budget and its self-pace. From the registration date, you will have three months to complete it. You make your own schedule which means you submit your homework at any time and take the exam whenever you are ready. I'm currently taking Differential equations now and I really love it. The only downside is that you can only take one math course at the same time. Registration is all year.

Good Luck

if you do not need a certificate, use youtube and other websites. free resources are abundant and with no less quality than paid ones. follow fresh's advice and get textbooks with the money instead.
also, online & self paced learning can call in some levels of laziness, keep that in mind.

1. What are the best online platforms for taking calculus and linear algebra courses?

Some of the top online platforms for taking calculus and linear algebra courses include Coursera, edX, Khan Academy, and Udemy. These platforms offer a variety of courses from top universities and instructors.

2. Are there any free online courses for calculus and linear algebra?

Yes, there are many free online courses for calculus and linear algebra available on platforms like Coursera, edX, and Khan Academy. These courses may not offer college credit, but they are a great resource for self-study and review.

3. Can I take calculus and linear algebra courses online for college credit?

Yes, many universities offer online courses for calculus and linear algebra that can be taken for college credit. However, it is important to check with your specific university to ensure that the online course will be accepted for credit.

4. How do I know if an online calculus and linear algebra course is reputable?

You can determine the reputation of an online calculus and linear algebra course by researching the instructor and the platform offering the course. Look for reviews and ratings from previous students, as well as any accreditation or partnerships with universities.

5. What are the benefits of taking calculus and linear algebra courses online?

Taking calculus and linear algebra courses online offers flexibility in terms of scheduling and location. It also allows for self-paced learning and access to a wide range of resources and materials. Additionally, online courses can be more affordable compared to traditional in-person courses.