Where the heck does a girl find a nerd around here?

• Thread starter zoestorm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Girl
I know it's not where you study, but I was giving an example of how to identify them.In summary, the speaker is a girl who is looking to find a nerdy guy but is having trouble finding one. She loves intelligent and eccentric individuals who are into things like experiments, USB powered rockets, and LAN parties. She is seeking advice on how to meet a nerdy guy and is open to suggestions on where they may hang out. Some suggestions include universities and places where people wear lab coats, but the speaker also mentions that she is already studying physics and chemistry and has not been able to find a nerdy guy there. She is also open to asking her peers for advice on where to find a nerdy
zoestorm
Where the heck does a girl find a nerd around here?

So i have a crazy liking for smart guys. the nerdy-er the better! In fact if i could find a guy who also thinks a periodic table shower curtain is rad, loves to spend hours talking about the world we live in would be willing to whisper the laws of thermodynamics into my ear whilst we were partaking in "special" relations i would be one insanely happy girl...haha but seriously my point is i loove geeky guys, and i want to find one but where do they hang out? All the guys i meet are jerks, i just want to find a cute, sweet, funny, nerdy, geeky physicist. Is that too much to ask?? :P

So come on guys someone please tell me how do i meet the man of my scientific dreams?

Any tips as to where they hang out, how i can woo them?...maybe lil old New Zealand just doesn't have enough nerds for me :(

Physics news on Phys.org

I suppose i should say also when i use the word "nerd" what i am actually meaning is intelligent, witty and intellectual, an odd or eccentric personality and you know into stuff like experiments, usb powered rockets and LAN parties haha.

Drop the word shibboleet occasionally?

Hahahaha Love it. So trying that one...im thinking it may just get me laid ;P

Andre said:
Drop the word shibboleet occasionally?

It doesn't seem she's looking for a secret code to get in the backdoor. :D

You just need the right bait. Carry one of these around and they'll find you.

jfrisk_633003879440937500_pict0456.jpg

Oooo...Is that a glass cursor?

Haha i have no idea what it is, but it looks amazing. Where does one find such an alluring item? :P

zoestorm said:
haha i have no idea what it is,
<gasp>

No you have to tell me what it is, I hate feeling like I am missing out on some important information. And clearly this could be the key to me find my mr nerdy...

zoestorm said:
No you have to tell me what it is, I hate feeling like I am missing out on some important information. And clearly this could be the key to me find my mr nerdy...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slide_rule

zoestorm said:
Any tips as to where they hang out, how i can woo them?

Well here's what I'm thinking:

Consider all the places that you currently hang out where they aren't...

...and then go somewhere else!

Seriously, the way some of these threads are you'd swear people only hang out in specific places. Until you speak to someone you just won't know. It could be anywhere.

Anyhow, based on what I've seen the nerdiest people are found in a university - to identify them it's best to look for those wearing a lab coat - even though they aren't in the lab that day.

How much advantage I got from using a slide rule in exams where electronic calculators were forbidden ! zoestorm if you like a nerd, offer them one :smile:

jarednjames said:
Anyhow, based on what I've seen the nerdiest people are found in a university - to identify them it's best to look for those wearing a lab coat - even though they aren't in the lab that day.
So there are no nerds in physics departments?

jarednjames said:
Well here's what I'm thinking:

Consider all the places that you currently hang out where they aren't...

...and then go somewhere else!

Seriously, the way some of these threads are you'd swear people only hang out in specific places. Until you speak to someone you just won't know. It could be anywhere.

Well i am at university, i study both physics and chemistry and i still cannot manage to find a nerdy guy. and "the way some of these threads go on" is fairly accurate I'd say.
I mean i cannot comment on what its like over there, but here in nz social groups are pretty predictable and seem to always hang out in certain places.

Anyways thanks for the advice, I don't know how i didnt think of that before, i mean its so simple...theyre not where i am, so go somewhere else...a theory even Einstein would have been impressed with.

... where does a girl find a nerd?? What the hell. I hope you're not looking at sporting events and at biker bars.

http://www.meetup.com/Dating-for-Nerds-Milwaukee/events/16052800/

:biggrin:

While coming home, I noticed their ad in a subway train.

Pengwuino said:
... where does a girl find a nerd?? What the hell. I hope you're not looking at sporting events and at biker bars.

Exactly.
zoestorm said:
Well i am at university, i study both physics and chemistry and i still cannot manage to find a nerdy guy. and "the way some of these threads go on" is fairly accurate I'd say.
I mean i cannot comment on what its like over there, but here in nz social groups are pretty predictable and seem to always hang out in certain places.

Anyways thanks for the advice, I don't know how i didnt think of that before, i mean its so simple...theyre not where i am, so go somewhere else...a theory even Einstein would have been impressed with.

You said yourself you don't want a classic nerd, you just want someone with that intelligence but with social ability thrown in. So it's no good looking in classic nerd hotspots really, is it?

Also, if you know they hang out in certain places why not ask your peers where said places are? Someone around you is going to give far better advice than us. Me telling you where to find a nerd in the UK is pretty much useless to you.

Hang on, you study physics and chemistry and can't find a nerd?
bp_psy said:
So there are no nerds in physics departments?

Don't believe that's what I said.

Simply pointing out that the best way to identify the nerds in my uni was to look for the ones constantly in their lab coats.

I don't know what it's like now, but when I was in college (back in the dark ages) there was a scarcity of women engineering students. So depending on how much things have evened out (or not) since then, you might try hanging around the engineering department, if your school has one.

Physics Fan said:
I don't know what it's like now, but when I was in college (back in the dark ages) there was a scarcity of women engineering students. So depending on how much things have evened out (or not) since then, you might try hanging around the engineering department, if your school has one.

My year in engineering has about 50 males and 5 females.

zoestorm said:
Haha i have no idea what it is, but it looks amazing. Where does one find such an alluring item? :P

Other than my desk drawer, you might find one in a museum. (I feel really old now!)

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/be12/

It's a sad thing that my first (and thus far only) contribution to a relationship thread is where to find a slide rule...

Modern day slide-rules have nerdar, a detector used for finding nerds.

sliderule-magnetism.jpg

Here's another way to find nerds. Hold up a sign.
(Just don't do this on a busy street or it will defeat your purpose.)

http://xkcd.com/356/
nerd_sniping.png

I would imagine that one could wait outside the class for SR or QM or . . . . and find a group of individuals of interest.

I used to spend time in the reading room of the physics department. That's where the latest issues of various journals would be kept.

Or one could visit the EE or other engineering departments.

Or library.

I remember the problem of the infinite mesh of 1 ohm resistors.

zoestorm said:
So i have a crazy liking for smart guys. the nerdy-er the better!

I'm pretty darn nerdy! I like trivia contests, and building things, and I'm an engineer and my bookshelf is full of Brian Greene and Michio Kaku books!

zoestorm said:
In fact if i could find a guy who also thinks a periodic table shower curtain is rad, loves to spend hours talking about the world we live in would be willing to whisper the laws of thermodynamics into my ear whilst we were partaking in "special" relations i would be one insanely happy girl...

EDIT: Yes, that is a periodic table shower curtain in my condo.

IMG_20110104_185516.jpg

I'm sure I could reduce your coefficient of friction with a little acoustic exchange, baby girl. I'm full of useless knowledge, and I can turn every single fact into innuendo.

zoestorm said:
haha but seriously my point is i loove geeky guys, and i want to find one but where do they hang out? All the guys i meet are jerks, i just want to find a cute, sweet, funny, nerdy, geeky physicist. Is that too much to ask?? :P

Cute? Some people think I'm cute... sometimes. I'm 5'11" and I can pull the ears off of a gundark.
Flex.jpg

zoestorm said:
So come on guys someone please tell me how do i meet the man of my scientific dreams?

Any tips as to where they hang out, how i can woo them?...maybe lil old New Zealand just doesn't have enough nerds for me :(

NEW ZEALAND?! Blech! Sorry, I'm in the States. Unless you want to have an internet relationship until you get up the courage to here, I don't know if I can help.

Last edited:

Try applying for some type of job with a local engineering firm. Even if you don't get the job you will have a good reason to be there and every person you meet will be a total nerd.

Find one of these, and a nerd is nearby.

[PLAIN]http://www.jacmusic.com/html/articles/ericbarbour/tworks_fig3.jpg [Broken]

To initiate a conversation, causally mention the term "pentode".

[URL]http://www.zeitmann-tubes.com/images/Hickok%20539B/P0011231.JPG[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:

webbwbb said:
Try applying for some type of job with a local engineering firm. Even if you don't get the job you will have a good reason to be there and every person you meet will be a total nerd.

Speaking from experience there?

In fact, my experience was the total opposite. Only a few nerds, well, one, well, two if you count me (I don't but others would disagree).

Astronuc, pentode, schmentode. What one really needs is a Nixie Tube watch.

nwrd-viewing-tn.jpg

Only $395.

Astronuc said:
I would imagine that one could wait outside the class for SR or QM or . . . . and find a group of individuals of interest.

I used to spend time in the reading room of the physics department. That's where the latest issues of various journals would be kept.

Or one could visit the EE or other engineering departments.

Or library.

I remember the problem of the infinite mesh of 1 ohm resistors.

And, believe it or not, you can sometimes find nerds in a store aisle searching for razors or shaving cream.

Did I ever tell you you're a hippy? In the last couple weeks, at least? :rofl:

(But, he's a hippy nerd and that's an important distinction.)

Astronuc said:
Find one of these, and a nerd is nearby.

To initiate a conversation, causally mention the term "pentode".
I built a crude web-site to help other tube-nuts identify the various vacuum tubes by their physical characteristics. The paint on the envelope is not reliable, since the manufacturers often sub-contracted large contracts out to their competitors. Hosted by a good friend of mine who works at Berkeley.

Old 12AX7's and their variants can sometimes be found in really good condition at ham-club swap meets. They are highly prized by people like myself who repair or restore old guitar amps. The trick is to know what you're looking at - for instance not to pay $$ for a reproduction Telefunken when it can be ruled out as a repo worth maybe a couple of bucks.

http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/~loarie/12ax7.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Sorry, I don't know any nerds. But my wife knows one. I'll ask her.

<h2>1. Where can I find a nerd?</h2><p>The best place to find a nerd is at a university or college. Many nerds are students or professors in fields such as science, math, engineering, or computer science.</p><h2>2. Are there any specific events or gatherings where nerds tend to gather?</h2><p>Yes, there are many events and gatherings that attract nerds. These include conventions, hackathons, gaming tournaments, science fairs, and meetups for specific interests such as coding or comic books.</p><h2>3. Do nerds only hang out with other nerds?</h2><p>No, nerds can have a diverse group of friends and interests. While they may have a strong interest in certain topics, they can also enjoy spending time with people who have different hobbies and passions.</p><h2>4. Are there any online communities or forums for nerds to connect with each other?</h2><p>Yes, there are many online communities and forums specifically for nerds to connect, share their interests, and engage in discussions. Some popular ones include Reddit, Quora, and Discord.</p><h2>5. Are there any specific qualities or characteristics that make someone a nerd?</h2><p>The term "nerd" is subjective and can mean different things to different people. Generally, a nerd is someone who is highly intelligent and passionate about a specific topic or interest. They may also have a strong interest in learning and exploring new ideas.</p>

1. Where can I find a nerd?

The best place to find a nerd is at a university or college. Many nerds are students or professors in fields such as science, math, engineering, or computer science.

2. Are there any specific events or gatherings where nerds tend to gather?

Yes, there are many events and gatherings that attract nerds. These include conventions, hackathons, gaming tournaments, science fairs, and meetups for specific interests such as coding or comic books.

3. Do nerds only hang out with other nerds?

No, nerds can have a diverse group of friends and interests. While they may have a strong interest in certain topics, they can also enjoy spending time with people who have different hobbies and passions.

4. Are there any online communities or forums for nerds to connect with each other?

Yes, there are many online communities and forums specifically for nerds to connect, share their interests, and engage in discussions. Some popular ones include Reddit, Quora, and Discord.

5. Are there any specific qualities or characteristics that make someone a nerd?

The term "nerd" is subjective and can mean different things to different people. Generally, a nerd is someone who is highly intelligent and passionate about a specific topic or interest. They may also have a strong interest in learning and exploring new ideas.