Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where the Heck Does Google Get These Ads From?

1. Jul 18, 2005 #1

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I hadn't seen them in a while, since I had been a contributor (and will be again soon - I'm just lazy and not around a computer as much except to write). I just noticed an ad claiming to show me how to "Use secret laws of physics and your subconscious mind to create wealth?"

Is that honestly the best science-themed stuff that google can find? Does anyone ever actually click on these?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2005 #2

cronxeh

Gold Member

well it could be another way of saying 'stochastic models, derivative pricing, and your gut feeling to earn big on stock market'

4. Jul 18, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

haha yah what is with google's ad placement...

This is an intellectual science board... not the best place to advertise get rich quick schemes.

5. Jul 18, 2005 #4

cronxeh

Gold Member

6. Jul 18, 2005 #5

*Kia*

Gold Member

Google uses keywords to randomly place ads.
    If you show ads on your site you can customize google and tell it not to show certain ads.
    This is something I need to do as my ggogle ads (on my site not here) keep advertising Kia Cars / Kia Motors :uhh:
    Which maybe my name but sure is nothing to do with my content.
    I even have a full compliment of Metatags :rolleyes:

7. Jul 19, 2005 #6

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

All right, someone has to sticky this. Look what just appeared on the GD front page:

Have a Blast with Fidel Castro's Face on Toilet Paper!

When you hover the cursor over it, it reads "Every Cuban's dream." Apparently, they dream about wiping their cracks with Castro's face.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?