Where the Heck Does Google Get These Ads From?

• Thread starter loseyourname
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Google
In summary, the conversation discusses the presence of an ad claiming to teach individuals how to create wealth using the laws of physics and the subconscious mind. The participants express their skepticism and discuss the use of keywords in Google's ad placement. They also mention the need for customization to avoid irrelevant ads. The conversation then shifts to the appearance of an offensive ad on the GD front page.
loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
I hadn't seen them in a while, since I had been a contributor (and will be again soon - I'm just lazy and not around a computer as much except to write). I just noticed an ad claiming to show me how to "Use secret laws of physics and your subconscious mind to create wealth?"

Is that honestly the best science-themed stuff that google can find? Does anyone ever actually click on these?

Physics news on Phys.org
well it could be another way of saying 'stochastic models, derivative pricing, and your gut feeling to earn big on stock market'

haha yah what is with google's ad placement...

This is an intellectual science board... not the best place to advertise get rich quick schemes.

I suppose this place is also not https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?goto=lastpost&t=63689

Google uses keywords to randomly place ads.
If you show ads on your site you can customize google and tell it not to show certain ads.
This is something I need to do as my ggogle ads (on my site not here) keep advertising Kia Cars / Kia Motors :uhh:
Which maybe my name but sure is nothing to do with my content.
I even have a full compliment of Metatags :rolleyes:

All right, someone has to sticky this. Look what just appeared on the GD front page:

http://www.cubanfoodmarket.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CFM&Product_Code=TP0001

When you hover the cursor over it, it reads "Every Cuban's dream." Apparently, they dream about wiping their cracks with Castro's face.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Where does Google get the data for their ads?

Google gets the data for their ads from a variety of sources, including user behavior and interests, website content, and advertiser bidding.

2. How does Google decide which ads to show me?

Google uses an algorithm that takes into account factors such as your search history, location, and demographics to determine which ads are most relevant to you.

3. Why do I see ads for things I've searched for on other websites?

This is because Google uses remarketing techniques, which show ads to users who have previously visited a website or searched for a specific product or service.

4. Can I control which ads I see on Google?

Yes, you can control which ads you see on Google by adjusting your ad personalization settings. You can also opt out of personalized ads altogether.

5. How does Google ensure the accuracy of their ads?

Google has strict policies in place for advertisers to follow, and they use a combination of automated and manual reviews to ensure that ads are accurate and comply with these policies. They also have a feedback system for users to report any misleading or inappropriate ads.