1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Where to apply for Math PhD

1. Jun 19, 2008 #1
    I was wondering if any of you can give me some advice as to what "level" Math grad schools I should apply to. I will be applying for Fall 2009 admission in a few months. Here is my basic info:

College: Small liberal arts college (unknown to the greater Math world basically)

Mathematics/Statistics GPA: 3.85
    Cumulative GPA: 3.65

Course I will have taken before graduation:
    Calculus I – III + Differential Equations
    Linear Algebra, Advanced Linear Algebra
    Probability and Statistics I + II (For Majors)
    Modern Algebra, Advanced Modern Algebra, Intro to Number Theory
    Introduction to Analysis I + II
    Measure Theory, Functional Analysis (Graduate Analysis)

Course I will be lacking (due to scheduling conflicts): Complex Analysis + Topology

The fact that I will not be able to take Topology/Complex before grad school worries me quite a bit, seeing as how most schools strongly recommend it. Although, maybe with a great deal of scheduling-acrobatics I may be able to squeeze Complex in there.

I hope to score >70%ile on the GRE subject test and can definitely procure 2 strong Math letters and 1 decent Math letter.

My plan was originally to apply to about 4 top-25 Schools, 5 mid-tier (top 25-50) schools, and 2-3 safety schools. Does this breakdown look good? Any comments or critiques about my record? My dream school would probably be either U of Wisc (Madison) of U of IL (Urbana).
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2008 #2
    yea this is a good question. any answers?
  4. Jun 20, 2008 #3
    Ask the professors at your school: What kinds of schools have recent graduates been accepted to?

Do you have any research you plan on doing? Summer REU? Honors Thesis?

My opinion: Top 25 will be tough. I think somewhere in the 40-60 range is realistic.
  5. Jun 20, 2008 #4
    Thanks for the reply. I have done some research, but it wasn't in Math. I basically did all the statistical analysis for an chemistry professor and will be published. However, this wasn't actual research in Math, just some number crunching/analyzing data. As for other students, we've had recent grads get in all over the place. Any other advice?

Also, do you have any information on Stats PhD programs? I definitely wanted to get a concentration in Stats, but am now considering applying to Stat PhD programs as well as Math.

Thanks again.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?