Where to Apply for Math PhD: Advice and Considerations

• Programs
  • Thread starter ralphhumacho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Apply Phd
In summary, the advice I was looking for was about what level Math grad schools I should apply to. I am applying for Fall 2009 admission, and have taken Calculus I-III, Linear Algebra, Advanced Linear Algebra, Probability and Statistics I+II, Modern Algebra, Advanced Modern Algebra, Introduction to Number Theory, and Introduction to Analysis I+II. I will be lacking Complex Analysis and Topology, but plan to take them during the PhD program. My plan was originally to apply to about 4 top-25 Schools, 5 mid-tier (top 25-50) schools, and 2-3 safety schools, but I think this breakdown looks good. My dream school would be either U of Wisc (Madison
ralphhumacho
I was wondering if any of you can give me some advice as to what "level" Math grad schools I should apply to. I will be applying for Fall 2009 admission in a few months. Here is my basic info:

College: Small liberal arts college (unknown to the greater Math world basically)

Mathematics/Statistics GPA: 3.85
Cumulative GPA: 3.65

Course I will have taken before graduation:
Calculus I – III + Differential Equations
Linear Algebra, Advanced Linear Algebra
Probability and Statistics I + II (For Majors)
Modern Algebra, Advanced Modern Algebra, Intro to Number Theory
Introduction to Analysis I + II
Measure Theory, Functional Analysis (Graduate Analysis)
Combinatorics

Course I will be lacking (due to scheduling conflicts): Complex Analysis + Topology

The fact that I will not be able to take Topology/Complex before grad school worries me quite a bit, seeing as how most schools strongly recommend it. Although, maybe with a great deal of scheduling-acrobatics I may be able to squeeze Complex in there.

I hope to score >70%ile on the GRE subject test and can definitely procure 2 strong Math letters and 1 decent Math letter.

My plan was originally to apply to about 4 top-25 Schools, 5 mid-tier (top 25-50) schools, and 2-3 safety schools. Does this breakdown look good? Any comments or critiques about my record? My dream school would probably be either U of Wisc (Madison) of U of IL (Urbana).

Physics news on Phys.org
yea this is a good question. any answers?

Ask the professors at your school: What kinds of schools have recent graduates been accepted to?

Do you have any research you plan on doing? Summer REU? Honors Thesis?

My opinion: Top 25 will be tough. I think somewhere in the 40-60 range is realistic.

mattmns said:
Ask the professors at your school: What kinds of schools have recent graduates been accepted to?

Do you have any research you plan on doing? Summer REU? Honors Thesis?

My opinion: Top 25 will be tough. I think somewhere in the 40-60 range is realistic.

Thanks for the reply. I have done some research, but it wasn't in Math. I basically did all the statistical analysis for an chemistry professor and will be published. However, this wasn't actual research in Math, just some number crunching/analyzing data. As for other students, we've had recent grads get in all over the place. Any other advice?

Also, do you have any information on Stats PhD programs? I definitely wanted to get a concentration in Stats, but am now considering applying to Stat PhD programs as well as Math.

Thanks again.

1. Where can I find a list of schools that offer Math PhD programs?

There are several resources available online to help you find a list of schools that offer Math PhD programs. Some popular ones include the American Mathematical Society, the National Science Foundation, and GradSchools.com. Additionally, you can also check individual university websites for a list of their graduate programs.

2. What are the top schools for Math PhD programs?

The top schools for Math PhD programs often vary based on different rankings and sources. Some of the consistently highly ranked schools include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Harvard University, and Stanford University. However, it's important to research and consider other factors such as program specialization, faculty, and available resources when choosing a school.

3. What are the application requirements for Math PhD programs?

The application requirements for Math PhD programs may vary slightly between schools, but they typically include undergraduate transcripts, GRE scores, letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and sometimes a writing sample. It's important to carefully review the requirements for each school you are applying to.

4. When is the best time to apply for Math PhD programs?

The application deadlines for Math PhD programs vary between schools, but they typically fall between December and February for programs starting in the fall. It's recommended to start researching and preparing your application materials at least a year in advance to ensure you have enough time to meet all the requirements.

5. What can I do to improve my chances of getting accepted into a Math PhD program?

Some ways to improve your chances of getting accepted into a Math PhD program include maintaining a strong academic record, getting involved in research or other related experiences, obtaining strong letters of recommendation, and preparing a well-written personal statement that highlights your interests and goals. Additionally, performing well on the GRE and having a clear understanding of the program's requirements and expectations can also increase your chances of acceptance.