Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where to buy a hall probe?

1. Oct 6, 2007 #1

dfx

Hey,
    Sorry this is probably in the wrong section but I couldn't think of a more appropriate one. Anyway, I've spent ages on the net looking for a really simple hall probe - like one which I used back in school measuring a max of upto 1.5 - 2 tesla, and I just cannot seem to find any school lab type supplies websites! Really frustrating! Any ideas? I'm in the UK. Any help much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Has one tried searching for magnetometer, gaussmeter, teslameter?

I presume one wishes to measure magnetic field as opposed to current?

4. Oct 6, 2007 #3

dfx

Yes, that is correct. I may be addressed outisde the third person too. :)

I've tried your suggestions and they brought some up, but they all seems really expensive (>$100) ! Back in school I had a really simple hall probe which you could hook up to USB and mess around with. Good times. Sigh.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  5. Oct 6, 2007 #4

Astronuc

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  6. Oct 6, 2007 #5

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

www.teachspin.com has hall probes for advanced labs

7. Oct 6, 2007 #6

Astronuc

8. Oct 6, 2007 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For $25, you can buy a calibrated, linear hall sensor from Allegro Microsystems. These are the cheapest sensors I've come across. They are basically a single chip package that you can easily mount on a board. You with need a 5V power supply (or a DC voltage source) and a meter/display to read the output.

Example: http://www.allegromicro.com/en/Products/Part_Numbers/1321/
    Price: http://www21.serrahost.com/AllegroMicroSystems/Detail.bok?no=248

Scroll down to near the bottom of this pricing list: http://www21.serrahost.com/AllegroMicroSystems/StoreFront.bok#distributor

9. Oct 6, 2007 #8

dfx

Thanks, all very helpful. I think I'll just postpone my plans for a few months and go back in to use the school one for abit when I can. All of the ready made ones seem over $150, apart from the chipset. Might resort to the chipset and just hook it up to my multimeter.

Btw I got a quotation from gaussmeters.co.uk and it was well over £100.

10. Oct 7, 2007 #9

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Pricey, but the owner was my experimental physics profeesor way back when before all of these new fangled computer driven labs. You know, when you set the temperature on the blackbody for your infrared spectroscopy lab and come back 2 days later when it has stabilized, then you take data all night until the system craps out.

By the way, he is working an initiative for advanced labs, I plan on donating, anyone else????

11. Oct 7, 2007 #10

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've given me an anxiety attack reminding me of that freakin' thermopile!

(Thermo-pile-of-$#*%! On my deathbed, I'm gonna demand that month BACK!)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  12. Oct 8, 2007 #11

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Me too, the best thing about my lab time was that I had a girl-friend who would come over to the lab, do her homework and genrally keep me company all night while I was taking data and pouring over it to analyze it.

13. Oct 9, 2007 #12

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Oh that makes me feel so much better! :ironic smiley:

Not only did you have a girlfriend, you had DATA! A month of lugging liquid N2 up to the observatory--no TA's to be found anywhere--lousy instruction manual--plus nobody else in the class had the same project since we all picked one out of a basket and the better ones had been pilfered by the front rows. Five attempts later, all I had was a completely flat field.

20 years later, I'm still mad!

14. Oct 9, 2007 #13

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I didn't say the data was worth anything......almost flunked lab because I couldn't get some of the experiments to work at all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?