Where to buy biodiesel

Mk said:
Andre's car looks very cool! It is called a pug? Couldn't they get a better name?... a more... horsepowery name?

Well it's a modest super mini in use as SMUV (super mini utility vehicle or shopping car), in preparation of the planned retirement of the big gazz guzzling family dreadnought.

But you'd be superprized of the excellent performance of the diesel engine against a very modest fuel consumption. And no smell, no soot whatsoever, no more noise than a conventional engine. Actually our government lowered the taxes on this particular one, for meeting the future emision standards.

But I don't think I'll brew my own biodiesel. :wink:

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Well, unless you have acreage on which to grow feedstock or otherwise have access to feestock at a good price, making your own is pretty impractical. And of course there is the economy of scale.

In a similar sense, you could make your own plates and cups from clay, rather than buying them, but that doesn't make much sense either.

There is no doubt however that all things considered, diesel engines are superior to gasoline powered engines. For one, diesels are fundamentally more efficient.

Last edited:
brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You only have to look at any European car (any Audi, VW, Ford, Peugeot, Fiat etc) to see that the performance and economy of a typical Diesel now outweighs that of a gasoline engine of the same cubic capacity, on offer for the same price. Emissions are down, performance and economy is up, service intervals are longer, reliability is enhanced, tax is lower... I bet Andre easily gets 50+mpg out of the Peugeot, and it'll perform better than a petrol of the same size. Even the big Jaguars, Mercedes and BMWs sell mostly Diesels these days.

I really struggle to see the drawbacks of a Diesel these days.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What do you all think about diesel hybrids vs diesel only?

brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ivan Seeking said:
What do you all think about diesel hybrids vs diesel only?

I was going to reply "the same thing I think about gasoline hybrids vs gasoline", but that's a bit unfair.

My main problem with gasoline hybrids is that a standard Diesel is better; in terms of life cost, fuel economy, and environmental impact. Now, throwing Diesel engines into the mix makes things more interesting. The only reason I can see for the first hybrids being gasoline fueled rather than Diesel is that development was driven primarily by US markets. If hybrids had kicked off in Europe I believe they would have been Diesel from the start.

My other reservation with hybrids in general is the environmental impact associated with battery manufacture and disposal, but I'm not well informed enough about this to pass judgement.

I believe that if US attitudes, markets and infrastructure for Diesel become similar to those in Europe, hybrids are a logical next-step. I'd have to see comparisons between Diesel and Diesel hybrid with regard to true duty-cycle emissions, economy and performance, as well as life-cycle environmental considerations to be able to firmly decide though.

Finally, if the automotive OEMs want success with Diesel hybrids, they'll have to be a lot more honest with the public about expected fuel consumption figures than they were when the first-generation of petrol hybrids were launched!