Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where to buy bulk chemicals?

1. Apr 1, 2004 #1
    By "bulk chemical" i mean I need a pound of calcium carbide. anyone know where to get it? If i get it under its laymans headng, as in the stuff used for hobbying, its kind of expensive, esp for a large quantity. I assume this is markup.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2004 #2
    Calcium Carbide is a Hazardous material, so anywhere you're going to be buying it from is going to have a $60 dollar fee just for shipping.
  4. Apr 2, 2004 #3
  5. Apr 5, 2004 #4
    actually i just found a place that ships 500g (plenty) for $8, not sure on shipping, but im sure its not that much. after all, the substance isnt dangerous by itself and only really reactive with water
  6. Apr 5, 2004 #5

Science Advisor

By the way

I read recently that carbide lamps are no longer sold in the United States. What do cavers use these days?
  7. Apr 21, 2004 #6
    batteries. use no oxygen, cheap to replace, last longer, and much less accidents.
  8. Apr 21, 2004 #7
    CaCl2 isn't dangerous, it forms a hydrate with water. That's what damp-rid is, CaCl2. I wouldn't eat it though.
  9. Apr 22, 2004 #8
    Yes it isnt dangerous, however it produces Acetelyne gas which is extremely flammable. They use it in blowtorches afterall.
  10. Jun 12, 2004 #9
    what's the dern difference anyway?
  11. Jun 13, 2004 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Calcium Carbide = [tex]CaC_2[/tex]

Calcium Chloride = [tex]CaCl_2[/tex]

Huge difference ! The former reacts with water to make ethylene. The latter is used as a dessicant, to keep things safe from moisture.
  12. Jun 13, 2004 #11
    Why oh why did I mention calcium chloride?
  13. Jun 13, 2004 #12

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try www.calcium-carbide.com. They sell a pound (450g) for $12.50, and this includes S&H.

If you need a lot more,

VWR sells 80% CaC2 @ $22.40 per 1000g tin and $86.70 for a 5-pack. This does not include S&H.

PS : Shipping is cheap if you don't mind waiting a few days, ie. ship by truck.
    However, if you need next day delivery, then shipping will increase ten-fold because of new regulations on air-cargo handling.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2004
  14. Jun 13, 2004 #13

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I recently paid over a hundred bucks for shipping a tiny 50cc bottle of Gallium - FedEx overnight.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?