Where can I find the best canning jars for my home canning needs?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: I generally use my freezer for that. Zip lock.In summary, the Americans can more than the Brits when it comes to preserving food with cans. There are a few specific brands of canning jars that are recommended, and the best way to process low-acid foods is in a pressure cooker.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I think the Americans home can far more than we do in the UK, can you give me a clue to
what is the best cans to ues and where to buy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cool, thanks Lowly.

Do a little Googling for best prices. You want either Ball or Kerr mason jars (mason jar is a type, not a brand). You'll need a cooker, the glass jars, rubbers, lid rings, and lid domes.

Great thanks guys, what type of things do you can, do you can meat ?

wolram said:
Low-acid foods such as meat have to be processed in a pressure-cooker, not the typical water-bath canner. Failure to do a good job of processing can result in listeria, botulism, and other nasty stuff that like to grow in anaerobic environments.

turbo-1 said:
Low-acid foods such as meat have to be processed in a pressure-cooker, not the typical water-bath canner. Failure to do a good job of processing can result in listeria, botulism, and other nasty stuff that like to grow in anaerobic environments.

Yes we gleaned the bit about pressure cooker Turbo, i just needed to know the best place to buy jars etc from, and personal experience to what cans well, one i would like to can is beef.

We normally use Kerr and Ball canning jars. They come with lids and rings to retain the lids. The lids have a rubber seal on the lip that stay in contact with the rim of the jars, AND (most importantly), they have a slight convex curve in the center that "pops" down after processing to show that you have a proper vacuum seal. After removing the processed jars from the water bath canner, I place them on wire racks to cool, and eventually the lids all "pop" down. I don't know where you can get the best deal in the UK, but here in the states, you can often get canning jars in case-lots at hardware store and big garden stores like Agway. You should plan your purchases to avoid having to buy both sizes of lids and rings. I like wide-mouth canning jars because it's easy to load the food in. You can find wide-mouth canning jars in quart, pint, and smaller sizes. The next canning season, you'll only have to buy and store wide-mouth lids. The jars and rings last for years - only the lid inserts are disposable. If you go to a place with canning supplies, pick up a box of wide-mouth plastic lids, too. Once you have opened a jar of some food, toss the metal lid, put the ring someplace for storage, and re-cover the jar with a plastic lid before you stick it in the refrigerator. It's a minor convenience, but I find that the plastic lids do a good job and are less likely to stick to the jar if there is some kind of juice on the threads of the jar.

wolram said:

Other suggestions: fruit (jams and spreads too), tomatoes, and pickled items (okra, cucumbers, banana peppers, cabbage).

I personally love pickled okra, although pickling at home sometimes causes the okra to be a bit slimy. (Still good though!)

A quick tip (briefly mentioned by an earlier poster): if the "pop" top is not down after the canning process is finished and the can is cooled, the jar is NOT sealed and obviously the food will not be preserved. (Unless you are using wax. I haven't done much wax canning.)

lluviata said:
I personally love pickled okra, although pickling at home sometimes causes the okra to be a bit slimy. (Still good though!)

When is the mucous fruit not slimy? Yeech.

I think it's not slimy only after it's been scraped into the disposal.

Not slimy when battered and lightly fried. Not slimy in gumbo. (Yum)

wolram said:
..., one i would like to can is beef.

I generally use my freezer for that. Zip lock.

lluviata said:
Not slimy when battered and lightly fried. Not slimy in gumbo. (Yum)

Yeah well my Mother did a mean okra and tomatoes dish.

Mean ... because I had to eat some.

She was from the Salvidor Dali School of boiling vegetables. Who knew a carrot could be bent in two without breaking?

LowlyPion said:
Who knew a carrot could be bent in two without breaking?

Haha! Poor you, I couldn't imagine eating soggy veggies unless they are actually in a stew or soup...

1. Where can I buy canning jars?

Canning jars can typically be found at local grocery stores, hardware stores, and kitchen supply stores. They can also be purchased online from retailers such as Amazon, Walmart, and Target.

2. What sizes of canning jars are available?

Canning jars come in a variety of sizes, including 4 oz, 8 oz, 16 oz, and 32 oz. The size you need will depend on the type of food you are canning and how much you plan to preserve.

3. Are there any specific brands that are recommended for canning jars?

Brands such as Ball, Kerr, and Mason are all popular choices for canning jars. It is important to make sure the jars are specifically designed for canning and have a two-piece lid with a sealing compound to ensure a proper seal.

4. Can I reuse canning jars?

Yes, canning jars can be reused, as long as they are still in good condition. The jars should be inspected for any cracks or chips before each use. The lids and bands should also be replaced after each use to ensure a proper seal.

5. Are there any alternatives to traditional canning jars?

Yes, there are alternatives such as Weck jars, which use a glass lid and rubber seal instead of a metal lid and band. These jars may be more expensive, but they can be reused indefinitely and are often preferred by some canners.