Where Can I Find a High-Turn Solenoid for Low Current and Strong Magnetic Field?

• I
  • Thread starter Albertgauss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solenoid
In summary, the conversation revolves around finding a solenoid or toroid device with a strong magnetic field but low current. The speaker plans to use a 20 volt DC power supply and is considering options such as solenoids, toroids, stereo loudspeakers, and automotive parts. They are also open to making their own magnet using a gapped magnetic toroidal core and special "magnet wire." The conversation also touches on the importance of matching the resistance of the solenoid coil with the power source, and the potential for using an automotive ignition coil. The speaker also shares their calculations for determining the B-field in Tesla for different wire and power supply values.
Albertgauss
Gold Member
Hi everyone,

I am doing a project where I need a device with a strong magnetic field but low current. It also needs a simple relationship with the current. Solenoids and toriods are the best I can think of to use. However, because I want to keep the current low, I want to keep a high magnetic field with a lot of turns, as high a magnetic field (hopefully much more than a milli-Tesla) I could generate with less than an amp of current. I will power the solenoid/toroid with a 20 volts power supply DC current. It is pretty easy to get a solenoid with a few hundred turns, but what about say 10,000 turns?

Does anyone know where to obtain a 10,000 (or even 5,000 would be good) turn solenoid? Or is this simply impossible? It seems like it would just be a 1,000 turn solenoid wrapped around 10 times, but maybe its hard to make such a device or no one needs them and thus such high-turn solenoids are not made.

Some places I have looked: stereo loudspeakers, chokes and inductors in the context of general search of automotive parts, etc. transformers. The auto parts that came back in my general internet searches have returned parts that seem far too small and not capable of generating a high magnetic field---are there other car parts that could do the job? What about electric guitar coils---I've heard they (or devices used by them) have coils of 3,000 to 6,000 turns--would they count as a solenoid that I could use for my purpose? Does anyone know of any appliances or more specific car parts that use solenoids with thousands of turns? How much current do such devices typically take? If you know specific names of some of these parts, that would be helpful.

I don't need a magnet core in the middle of the solenoid, I prefer it to be hollow, but I can deal with a core if need be.

I can spend up to a few hundred dollars on a solenoid/toroid/coil if I need to.

Physics news on Phys.org
Albertgauss said:
I don't need a magnet core in the middle of the solenoid, I prefer it to be hollow, but I can deal with a core if need be.
You will get a much stronger magnetic field by using a gapped magnetic toroidal core, with as small a gap as possible to support your free-air application.

You will get the most efficiency by matching the resistance of your solenoid coil (wrapped around the partial toroidal magnetic core form) with the internal resistance of your battery power source (that's how you get the best power transfer).

You will get the most Amp-Turns by using a smaller gauge wire with more turns, but at some point, you will lose too much power in the IR losses in your coil. You should be able to write the equations for the number of Amp-Turns versus the wire gauge and resistive losses to optimize the B-field generation. Let us know what you find!

BTW, is the battery life per charge in this system a consideration?

I just read the reference listed above. I didn't realize the air-gap would have such an effect. Gapped magnetic torioid sounds like the best bet for me.

Does anyone have any experience with what brand/kind of small gauge wire is best for making magnets? I can order online if need be, if such special wire is available only over the internet.

I'd prefer to buy the magnet rather than make one, if possible. That's why I was looking for appliances and parts etc, to cannibalize. However, due to the air-gap in the previous post, I realize I must be open to making my own magnet. I will pursue both methods until I get something that works.

Battery is irrelevant, since I am using a power supply (20 volts DC, I could maybe obtain 50 volt power supply later).

I'll reread the previous link. I didn't understand how to get to 1 Tesla. That would be fantastic! But if I could get that high a B-field for ~10's of mA, that would be great!

I'll do the calculation today. I have to go to work now, but I will return this afternoon.

Albertgauss said:
Does anyone have any experience with what brand/kind of small gauge wire is best for making magnets?
"Magnet wire" is used to wind magnetic coils. It is special because it uses a special kind of insulation that is as thin as possible, so you can wind more turns into the same "window" size. For your low-voltage application, you can use "single build" insulation magnet wire, which has the thinnest insulation. If your application involved high voltages, you would go for "double build" or "triple build" magnet wire.

MWS is a common supplier of magnet wire: http://mwswire.com/

:smile:

How about cannibalizing an automotive ignition coil? The secondary has a generous number of turns, I've never counted them though.

I clicked on the link above for the insulated magnetic wire and got this error message:Configuration Error
Your wp-config.php file has an empty database table prefix, which is not supported.

Then I went to the internet, with chrome an internet edge, and got the same problem. Is that company still in business? If so, can you provide me a link for them that will work?

For the calculation of B field in Tesla for wire and power supply values (N turns, DC power supply current and voltage output, type of AWG wire), I attached JPEGs of a powerpoint I used to do the calculations. Its easier for me that way since powerpoint still has an equation editor. Let me know if my calculations seem right, close, or even just a long way off. I admit I could not find any easy expression for the power (watts) at which a solenoind ramps up to its magnetic field.

The blue color fonts in the attached jpegs represent algebra changes as I move from one expression to the next.

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 461
  • Slide2.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 429
  • Slide3.JPG
    Slide3.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 455
  • Slide4.JPG
    Slide4.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 445
  • Slide5.JPG
    Slide5.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 441
  • Slide6.JPG
    Slide6.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 438
berkeman said:
MWS is a common supplier of magnet wire: http://mwswire.com/
Albertgauss said:
I clicked on the link above for the insulated magnetic wire and got this error message:
Yeah, their website does seem to be having some issues right now. You should be able to get in via this indirect link and work your way up and across the website. I'll ping them to ask what is wrong.

http://www.mwswireindustries.info/contact.htm

McMaster-Carr (mcmaster.com), Newark (newark.com), and Digikey (digikey.com) all list magnet wire in sizes down to 36 or 38 gauge as in stock. I have had good experiences with all three of these suppliers.

Likes berkeman
Ok, Excellent, I will check all that out. That is really helpful.

1. Where can I purchase a solenoid?

Solenoids can be purchased at hardware stores, electronics stores, and online retailers. It is important to make sure you are purchasing the correct type and size for your specific needs.

2. What is the difference between a solenoid and an electromagnet?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that creates a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it. An electromagnet is also a coil of wire, but it is designed to be turned on and off using an external power source.

3. How do I know which type of solenoid to use for my project?

The type of solenoid you need will depend on the specific application and requirements of your project. Factors to consider include voltage, current, size, and force needed. Consult a professional or do research to determine the best solenoid for your project.

4. Can I use a solenoid for both pushing and pulling objects?

Yes, some solenoids are designed to provide both pushing and pulling force. These are known as “push-pull” solenoids and are commonly used in applications such as door locks and automatic valves.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a solenoid?

Yes, it is important to follow safety guidelines when using a solenoid. Make sure to use the correct voltage and current, and avoid touching the solenoid while it is powered. Additionally, always read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for proper installation and usage.