Where Can I Find Phase Diagrams for Substances Other Than Water or CO2?

In summary, the conversation is about finding phase diagrams for substances other than water or CO2. The speaker first suggests asking at a university library and mentions a large book in their Chemistry Department library. However, the other person is looking for something online as they are still in high school and their teacher and library do not have a database book. The speaker then explains that knowing the melting/boiling point, triple point, and critical temperature can help sketch parts of a phase diagram, but there may be unexpected results.
samblohm
Where can I find phase diagrams for things other than water or CO2? I'm looking for pressure/temperature ones.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I would start asking at university library, librarians are trained to know where such things can be found. I remember a large book with phase diagrams in my Chem. Dept. library, but it was before PC XT.

I was looking for something online. I'm still in high school and my teach doesn't have a database book at all and neither does the library. Is there a way to figure out a phase diagram is you know the melting/boiling point, triple point, and critical temperature?

Not exactly - you may sketch some of the parts, but there can be some surprises.

Phase diagrams can be found in various places, such as textbooks, scientific journals, and online databases. You can also find them on the websites of universities or government agencies that specialize in the study of specific materials or substances.

To find phase diagrams for substances other than water or CO2, you can search for specific keywords such as "pressure/temperature phase diagrams" or "phase diagrams of [substance]" on scientific databases like Google Scholar or ScienceDirect. These databases have a vast collection of published research articles and studies on various materials, including their phase diagrams.

You can also check the websites of institutions or organizations that focus on specific materials, such as the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) for phase diagrams of various metals and alloys, or the American Ceramic Society for phase diagrams of ceramics.

Additionally, some software programs, such as MATLAB or Thermocalc, have built-in databases of phase diagrams for different materials that can be accessed for research purposes.

It is essential to ensure that the source of the phase diagram is reliable and from a reputable institution or publication to ensure the accuracy of the data.

1. Where can I find phase diagrams for specific substances?

Phase diagrams can be found in various places such as textbooks, scientific journals, online databases, and research papers. Some universities and research institutions also have databases or libraries that contain phase diagrams for different substances.

2. How do I interpret a phase diagram?

To interpret a phase diagram, you need to understand the different phases of matter (solid, liquid, gas) and their corresponding conditions (temperature, pressure). The lines on a phase diagram represent the points at which two phases coexist in equilibrium. The regions between the lines represent the conditions under which a single phase exists.

3. Can I create my own phase diagram?

Yes, you can create your own phase diagram for a specific substance by conducting experiments and collecting data on its phase transitions at different temperatures and pressures. This data can then be plotted on a graph to visualize the phase changes and create a phase diagram.

4. Are there any online resources for phase diagrams?

Yes, there are many online resources for phase diagrams such as the NIST Chemistry WebBook, the Materials Project, and the Interactive Phase Diagrams (IPD) Online Database. These databases provide access to a wide range of phase diagrams for different substances.

5. Can phase diagrams be used for predicting phase transitions?

Yes, phase diagrams can be used to predict phase transitions at different temperatures and pressures. They provide a visual representation of the conditions under which a substance will undergo a phase change, making it a useful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of matter.