Where to find PhD and Masters Thesis online?

In summary, the conversation discusses various resources for accessing and downloading copies of mechanical engineering theses. Suggestions include checking with your school library, searching online archives, and using websites such as Scholarius and Alldissertations.com. The conversation also mentions the possibility of obtaining theses through interlibrary loan and finding groups in a specific field that may have posted dissertations on their websites.
Will
Any sites where I could read and download copies of these? I will be at this level soon, and I need some insight. One of the professors at my school (Cal Poly, SLO) has his available to read. This gave me a much better idea about what it really takes and how to go about it. I am especially interested in mechanical engineering thesis.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know some universties have some posted on their web pages. Well atleast the one I'm in does.

Will said:
Any sites where I could read and download copies of these? I will be at this level soon, and I need some insight. One of the professors at my school (Cal Poly, SLO) has his available to read. This gave me a much better idea about what it really takes and how to go about it. I am especially interested in mechanical engineering thesis.

Im very interestd in finding out too. Id like to see what i should be prepared to do in the future (always interesting to think of what you'll be able to do in teh future).

check with your school's library/libraries. They may have a bunch stored,on microfiche or in searchable database. You should be able to get a copy of a few to peruse. At the university I went to, grad students have to submit one copy of their thesis to the library where it eventually ended up in the microfiche record (that was a few years ago, don't know where they end up stored now). I believe they were also submitted to the National Library of Canada, where they ended up in microfiche. Those you can search for http://www.collectionscanada.ca/thesescanada/s4-230-e.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Ask your advisor, either in the department archives or in your library, but every thesis is kept, and none is thrown away, so they must be somewhere.

Icebreaker said:
Ask your advisor, either in the department archives or in your library, but every thesis is kept, and none is thrown away, so they must be somewhere.

Our school only goes to the masters level. No PhD stuff available. So it seems that I would have to go to a particular institutions archives. Or do online archives exist?

Will said:
Our school only goes to the masters level. No PhD stuff available. So it seems that I would have to go to a particular institutions archives. Or do online archives exist?

More recent ones might be online, but I'm not sure. Older ones will be on microfiche or in hardcopies in a library somewhere. You might be able to get your hands on some via interlibrary loan. Ask your librarian for help. I'm not sure how you'd search for them, but there must be a way since they are in the library stacks.

Check out http://www.scholarius.com It is a new venture where you will be able to upload your OWN thesis and download others PhD thesis. It is totally Open Source.

lol thanks for bringing up a 4 year old thread

Wow.

there is this wonderful collection which i find very interesting.. they have good way of user interface as well.

www.alldissertations.com

try, etd.ENTER_SCHOOLE_NAME.edu. for example etd.psu.edu

I know at least a couple Universities that have thesis online.

lol thanks for bringing up a 5 year old thread

I need a Master thesis on Gender and political discourse in Algeria

A library would be your best bet.

lol thanks for bringing up a 7 year old thread

Where Can I Find PhD and Master's Theses Online?

You can find PhD and Master's theses online through various sources and repositories. Here are some popular options:

• University Websites: Many universities and academic institutions provide online access to their theses and dissertations through their official websites or digital libraries.
  • ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global: ProQuest is a well-known database that offers a vast collection of theses and dissertations from institutions worldwide. It provides access to both PhD and Master's theses.
  • Google Scholar: Google Scholar is a free search engine that indexes scholarly articles, including theses and dissertations. You can use it to search for theses on a specific topic or by author.
  • Open Access Repositories: Some universities and organizations host open access repositories where you can find theses and dissertations for free. Examples include DSpace and EThOS (for UK theses).
  • Library Catalogs: Many university and national libraries have online catalogs that provide information on the availability of theses. You can then access them through the library's resources.
  • Specialized Thesis Repositories: Some fields have specialized repositories, such as arXiv for physics and Cornell University's arXiv for mathematics, where you can find theses in those areas.

Do I Need a Subscription or Membership to Access These Resources?

Access to PhD and Master's theses online can vary. Some resources, like ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global, may require a subscription or institutional access. However, many universities provide free access to their theses and open access repositories are typically free to use. Google Scholar is also freely accessible to search for theses.

Can I Request a Copy of a Thesis if It's Not Available Online?

Yes, if a thesis is not available online, you can typically request a copy through interlibrary loan services at your local library or academic institution. They may be able to obtain a physical or digital copy for you.

Are There Any Copyright Restrictions on Using Theses I Find Online?

Theses and dissertations may be subject to copyright restrictions. When using them for research or academic purposes, it's essential to respect copyright laws and cite the source properly. Some theses may be available under open access licenses that permit wider use, while others may have restrictions. Always check the usage rights and permissions associated with the thesis you intend to use.

Can I Access Theses from Universities in Other Countries?

Yes, you can access theses from universities in other countries through various online repositories and databases. ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global, for example, includes theses from institutions worldwide. Additionally, many universities offer international access to their theses through their websites or digital libraries.

How Can I Search for Theses on a Specific Topic or by Author?

To search for theses on a specific topic or by author, you can use online databases, library catalogs, or search engines like Google Scholar. You can enter keywords related to your topic or the author's name to narrow down your search. Many databases also offer advanced search options to refine your results further.

Are PhD and Master's Theses Useful for Research and References?

Yes, PhD and Master's theses can be valuable resources for research and references. They often contain original research, in-depth analysis, and comprehensive literature reviews. Theses are especially useful when researching specific topics or seeking examples of research methodologies. When using theses as references, it's essential to cite them properly.