Where Can I Find Affordable Strain Gauges?

• Thread starter Moffitt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strain
In summary, the conversation discusses the need to find affordable strain gauges and the difficulty in finding them at various suppliers. A suggestion is made to check out Omega and Trossen Robotics, where a pack of ten starts at $49.
Moffitt
I need to find several cheap strain gauges. I was able to find some at Mouser for several hundred dollars, but that is way too much. I wasn't able to find any at all at digikey or several other suppliers whom I've never heard of.

Do cheap strain gauges even exist?

Engineering news on Phys.org
But make sure you get the kit with all you need to secure them (degreaser, glue, sealer?).

1. Where can I purchase strain gauges?

Strain gauges can be purchased from various online retailers such as Amazon, Digi-Key, and Mouser. They can also be purchased directly from manufacturers or through electronics supply stores.

2. What types of strain gauges are available?

There are several types of strain gauges available, including foil strain gauges, semiconductor strain gauges, and wire strain gauges. Each type has its own unique properties and is suitable for different applications.

3. How do I choose the right strain gauge for my project?

The right strain gauge for your project will depend on several factors, including the type of material being measured, the expected strain range, and the environment. It is important to consult with a knowledgeable supplier or engineer to determine the best type of strain gauge for your specific needs.

4. Can I reuse strain gauges?

In most cases, strain gauges cannot be reused. Once they have been applied and used, they are typically damaged and cannot be used again. However, some strain gauges, such as self-temperature-compensated gauges, can be reused if they are carefully removed and reapplied.

5. Are strain gauges difficult to install?

The difficulty of installing strain gauges depends on the specific application and the experience of the user. Some strain gauges can be easily attached with adhesive, while others may require specialized equipment and expertise. It is important to carefully follow the manufacturer's instructions and, if needed, seek assistance from a trained professional.