Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where to get the aa sequences?

1. Oct 13, 2004 #1
    where can we get the full length of amino acid sequences? i have very little bioinformatic background so please the more you explain the better it would be :tongue2: :biggrin:

thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2004 #2

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

go to the ncbi website (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/) and do a search in their protein or nucleotide databanks. You type the protein or/and the organism that you want and can get acces to the protein or nucleotide sequence. If you have an accession number from a certain sequence (it usually giveen in scientific papers), you can find it using the search engine.

4. Oct 14, 2004 #3
    but the CDS is that the nucleotide sequence of the mature mRNA or premature mRNA?

BWT i am a beginner and really want to learn and use the tools in bioinformatic. do you know any place or books which is simple but quite useful?

thanks again!

5. Oct 14, 2004 #4

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

the CDS is the ORF and it will be the premature form.

I am in the process of writing a tutorial about bioinformation.

6. Oct 14, 2004 #5
    hi!
    is this your thesis or you have finished studying? you must know alot about bioinformatic, then :cool: :smile:

the problem is English is not my language that is why alot of words and explanations in the bioiformatic sites confuse me. i hardly understand what they are looking for :cry: do you have any advice you can afford me?

thanks!

7. Oct 14, 2004 #6

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I worked alot with bioinformatics and took a graduate level course. I write the tutorial during my free time and it will be posted in the science article website.

As far as the language goes, english is not my first language either and sometimes to understand what they are asking for you have to know the theory behind tools.

8. Oct 14, 2004 #7
    okey! i will remember that :approve:

thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?