Where Can I Donate My Used Science Books?

• Thread starter waht
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the conversation discusses the poster's attempts to give away four books on differential geometry, mathematical physics, and tensor analysis. They tried donating to a local library and using online platforms like eBay and Craigslist, but were unsuccessful. Another member suggests using the website bookcrossing.com, where books can be left in public places for others to find, register, and pass on. The poster is intrigued by this idea and plans to use it for their books. The conversation also mentions the website "Where is George" where people can track the circulation of dollar bills.
waht
I went to a local library to give away four of my Dover books on differential geometry, mathematical physics, and tensor analysis which I don't need anymore. The librarian said they couldn't take those books because it didn't meet their guidelines.

I tried ebay, but it failed, and tried Craigslist free giveaway couple of times, but received no replies.

I really don't want to throw them away. Is there any place, website, or idea to give it away...

Physics news on Phys.org
college/high school/ .. I am sure if you just put books anywhere in a college along with a "FREE" note on them, they are guaranteed to be disappeared in few moments.

As a fun idea check out www.bookcrossing.com
I had actually forgotten about that site until I read your post and started thinking. Basically the idea is you leave one or more books in a safe publicly accessible location then register them on the site. People can look up books on the site and then go look for them at the location they were left or they may simply stumble upon the book and take it home. I think you are supposed to mark the book in some fashion that will lead any finders to the site. Any one who takes a book is supposed to register its status on the site and then "release" it again when they are done with it noting its status and location on the site. In this way you are supposed to be able to keep track of traveling books from one place and owner to another.

I'm not sure how well it will work for textbooks but its an interesting idea. I've been meaning to "release" some books myself someday.

TheStatutoryApe said:
As a fun idea check out www.bookcrossing.com.
I did. What a great idea. I see that there is a copy of Quantum Mechanics by Franz Mandl that has been sitting on a bench outside of the shopping center in Coventry England for 4 years now. Instead of going to the University Library or sending my money to Amazon for a used copy, I am going to buy a round-trip ticket to England so I can pick up my free copy. Thanks.

Edit. Hey you guys, I got dibs. Don't be running over there to pick it up before me.

This is like "Where is George" where you can track where your dollars bills are circulating.

Interesting concept. Although I wouldn't book a flight half way across the world just for one text...

1. Where can I donate my books?

There are several options for donating books. You can donate them to a local library, school, charity organization, or thrift store. You can also consider donating to a Little Free Library or hosting a book swap with friends and family.

2. Can I donate books that are in poor condition?

It is best to donate books in good condition, as most organizations and libraries will not accept books that are damaged or in poor condition. However, you can still donate them to recycling centers or use them for art projects.

3. Are there any specific types of books that are in high demand for donations?

Generally, books that are in high demand for donations are children's books, textbooks, and books on popular topics such as self-help, cookbooks, and biographies. However, it is always best to check with the organization or library you plan on donating to for their specific needs.

4. Can I get a tax deduction for donating books?

Yes, you may be able to get a tax deduction for donating books. However, you will need to keep a record of the books you have donated and their estimated value. It is best to consult with a tax professional for more information on how to claim a tax deduction for book donations.

5. Is it better to donate books locally or to a national organization?

Both options have their benefits. Donating locally supports your community and allows you to see the impact of your donation. Donating to a national organization may reach a wider audience and have more resources for distributing books. Ultimately, the decision is up to you and what is most important to you as a donor.