Where to Pursue Graduate Studies in Theoretical and Particle Physics?

In summary, the speaker is approaching their senior year and is currently studying for the GRE. They are unsure of where to aim for and are open to any location that fits their abilities. Their interests include Theoretical Physics, Particle Physics, and Medical Physics. They have a GPA of 3.7 and 1 year of research experience in Computational Physics. They anticipate average or above average scores on the regular GRE and Physics GRE. They are also unsure about pursuing Medical Physics due to financial aid restrictions. They are seeking advice and recommendations for graduate programs in these fields.
Kites
So I am approaching my senior year. Studying right now for the GRE and all that standard business that we go through during the summer before senior year. I've got a dilemma though. I don't have a great idea of where I should aim for. I am pretty open to any location but I want to be sure that I go somewhere that will fit my abilities and I can't find great stats out there on different schools.

My interests are mostly Theoretical Physics (In general), Particle Physics, and Medical Physics.
Some stats on me are:

GPA: 3.7
Research Experience: 1 Year Computational Physics work

And I figure I will do average or a bit above average on both the regular GRE and the Physics GRE.

So where should I go? Medical physics has become a bit sketch for me (was my original hope to go to UW-Madison for it) due to my Fin. Aid calling me and telling me that I can't take the required biology and chemistry classes.

If anyone has got some tips about where I should be trying to place myself I would appreciate it. With that information I can contact some of the graduate students there and try and get an idea for each of the different programs.

Thank you for your help and cooperation. :D

Physics news on Phys.org
If it helps, biology and chemistry are not necessarily required for entry into all medical physics graduate programs (although they certainly help). UW-Madison has a well-respected program, but there are others. You could check out:
http://www.campep.org/campeplstgrad.asp
for a list of accredited programs.

Hm. I'll take another look at that list thanks.

What about schools for Theoretical or Particle Physics? I haven't the foggiest clue of where are good places to go for those areas.

1. Where can I find information about graduate programs in physics?

One of the best places to find information about graduate programs in physics is on the websites of universities or colleges that offer such programs. You can also check out online directories and forums dedicated to physics graduate programs.

2. What are the top universities for physics graduate programs?

The top universities for physics graduate programs may vary depending on different rankings and criteria, but some of the most highly ranked institutions include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Stanford University, University of California, Berkeley, and Harvard University.

3. How long does it typically take to complete a physics graduate program?

The duration of a physics graduate program can vary depending on the specific program and the student's pace. On average, it can take around 2-3 years to complete a master's program and 4-6 years to complete a doctoral program.

4. What are the requirements for admission to a physics graduate program?

The requirements for admission to a physics graduate program may vary depending on the institution, but most programs require a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, strong academic performance, letters of recommendation, and standardized test scores (such as the GRE). Some programs may also require research experience.

5. What career opportunities are available for physics graduates?

Physics graduates have a wide range of career opportunities, including research positions in academia, government agencies, and private companies. Other career options include teaching, consulting, and working in industries such as aerospace, technology, and finance. Many physics graduates also pursue further studies in fields like engineering, medicine, or law.