1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where to go? Physics Graduate

1. Jun 18, 2009 #1
    So I am approaching my senior year. Studying right now for the GRE and all that standard buisness that we go through during the summer before senior year. I've got a dilemma though. I don't have a great idea of where I should aim for. I am pretty open to any location but I want to be sure that I go somewhere that will fit my abilities and I can't find great stats out there on different schools.

My interests are mostly Theoretical Physics (In general), Particle Physics, and Medical Physics.
    Some stats on me are:

GPA: 3.7
    Research Experience: 1 Year Computational Physics work

And I figure I will do average or a bit above average on both the regular GRE and the Physics GRE.

So where should I go? Medical physics has become a bit sketch for me (was my original hope to go to UW-Madison for it) due to my Fin. Aid calling me and telling me that I can't take the required biology and chemistry classes.

If anyone has got some tips about where I should be trying to place myself I would appreciate it. With that information I can contact some of the graduate students there and try and get an idea for each of the different programs.

Thank you for your help and cooperation. :D

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2009 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If it helps, biology and chemistry are not necessarily required for entry into all medical physics graduate programs (although they certainly help). UW-Madison has a well-respected program, but there are others. You could check out:
    http://www.campep.org/campeplstgrad.asp
    for a list of accredited programs.

4. Jun 19, 2009 #3
    Hm. I'll take another look at that list thanks.

What about schools for Theoretical or Particle Physics? I haven't the foggiest clue of where are good places to go for those areas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook