Find Alternative Q&A Sites - Respectfully, "Doc" Holiday

• Thread starter K. Doc Holiday
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is asking if there is another site that allows for more open discussions, as their questions may violate the policy of "new questions are not allowed". They mention their lack of skill in using Google and their friends' lack of knowledge in astronomy. They also apologize for potentially posting on the wrong thread and clarify that they only want to learn from the experts on the site. The reply states that as long as the questions are genuine and not pushing false theories or violating the site's rules, it is encouraged to ask and start new threads for inquiries. The individual thanks for the clarification.
K. Doc Holiday
This is a great site but my questions might violate the policy of "new questions are not allowed". Is there another site that is a bit more open? Thanks ahead of time.
Respectfully,
"Doc" Holiday

Physics news on Phys.org
K. Doc Holiday said:
"new questions are not allowed"
I've been here for years and haven't seen that one.

Likes davenn and K. Doc Holiday
Appreciate your speedy reply. My problem is I am not adept at Google searches and none of my friends are adept at astronomy.

I guess my questions about the Einstein-Rosen Bridge and The Stefan-Boltzmann Law will remain unanswered for now.

I apologize if that reply was not on the proper thread line.

What I mean is that I haven't seen issues with people asking questions in order to learn from the many experts that we have here. The only time that I see people run into trouble with that is when they ask questions with the intention of pushing some made-up or discredited theory, delving into philisophical musings or other types of discussions that are restricted by the Terms and Rules in the INFO tab above. If there's something you want to know about, I would start a new thread and ask away.

Likes davenn, Drakkith, symbolipoint and 2 others
Borg said:
What I mean is that I haven't seen issues with people asking questions in order to learn from the many experts that we have here. The only time that I see people run into trouble with that is when they ask questions with the intention of pushing some made-up or discredited theory, delving into philisophical musings or other types of discussions that are restricted by the Terms and Rules in the INFO tab above. If there's something you want to know about, I would start a new thread and ask away.
Thanks for clarifying. That helps a lot!

1. What are alternative Q&A sites?

Alternative Q&A sites are websites or online platforms where users can ask and answer questions on a variety of topics. These sites are different from traditional search engines because they rely on community participation to provide answers rather than algorithms.

2. Why should I use alternative Q&A sites?

Alternative Q&A sites offer a more personal and human touch to finding information. They also allow for a diverse range of perspectives and opinions, making it a valuable resource for researching and learning about a topic. Additionally, these sites often have a community of experts in various fields, providing reliable and accurate answers.

3. How do I find the right alternative Q&A site for my question?

The best way to find the right alternative Q&A site is by using specific keywords related to your question in a search engine. You can also ask for recommendations from friends or colleagues who have used these sites before. Once you have a few options, you can compare the user interface, community activity, and the types of questions and answers on each site to determine which one best suits your needs.

4. Are alternative Q&A sites reliable?

Like any other online source, the reliability of alternative Q&A sites can vary. It is essential to consider the source of the information and the credibility of the answers provided. As a scientist, it is always best to cross-reference information from multiple sources to ensure accuracy.

5. Can I contribute to alternative Q&A sites as a scientist?

Yes, absolutely! In fact, many alternative Q&A sites welcome contributions from experts and professionals in various fields. By sharing your knowledge and expertise, you can help others learn and expand their understanding of different topics. Additionally, contributing to these sites can help increase your online presence and credibility as a scientist.