Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where to post?

1. Jun 15, 2005 #1
    i'm just sort of curious...

but say i have a homework problem on differential equations... do you want it posted in homework help, or in diff eq?

i'm just not sure i understand what all the forums are meant to be used for is all. and i'm just wondering what the admins or mentors or whatever would prefer. i mean, i know most people just do whatever, and it doesn't matter... but there's different forums for a reason eh?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2005 #2
    Post homework problems in the homework forums :smile:

4. Jun 15, 2005 #3
    so just... theory? or... erm... what sorts of things would be in the other forums? if there's no problems in the forums.. i dunno... seems odd...

5. Jun 15, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You know,that punctuation of yours is quite annoying.We've got forums for debate and forums for homework.I think it should be clear.

Daniel.

6. Jun 15, 2005 #5
    Both,yes both,of you punctuate akwardly... but who really... cares..? you know... :smile:

7. Jun 15, 2005 #6

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mathematical points that are meant to stir discussion go in the Mathematics Forums. That is what people who read that section expect to find. If I'm reading the Diff Eq section, and I see "PLZ help w/2nd order DiffEq Q, THX", I am inclined to move it at best, or ignore it at worst, simply because that's not what I entered that Forum for.

8. Jun 15, 2005 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

More unusual, or non-standard homework problems which the OP thinks might stir the interest of other readers than just those proffering help, would also, I think, be appropriate in the maths sections

9. Jun 15, 2005 #8

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sure, like if the problem itself is interesting. Or if the OP wants to go further than "just the answer", such as asking about a variant of the question or a physical application, or something that would lead to an interesting discussion.

10. Jun 15, 2005 #9
    Alrighty, makes sense. i usually post my stuff in homework, but i was just curious cause lots of people don't, and its pretty easy to understand the mistake.

and sorry about my punctuation. i didn't realize it was so horrible.

11. Jun 15, 2005 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Use of capital "I" in the word "I" wouldn't hurt, either..:wink:

12. Jun 15, 2005 #11
    Oh come on, I think that was perfectly comprehendible.. I really don't see how it can be bothersome. In fact, I think dexter's anti-spacebar typing is much more annoying =P.

13. Jun 16, 2005 #12

Danger

Gold Member

Of course, since it comes from someone who isn't familiar with the word 'comprehensible'... :rolleyes:

14. Jun 16, 2005 #13
    Sorry, I didn't realize you favored that synonym.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2005
  15. Jun 16, 2005 #14

Danger

Gold Member

I forgot that you're a Yank. :redface:
    'Comprehendible' isn't a word in English. Although it did show up in 'Funk & Wagnalls' upon later searching, it is not in the 'Oxford'. :tongue:

16. Jun 16, 2005 #15

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

What is not in the 'Oxford' is not English, although most in the 'Oxford' isn't English, but ancient and failed neologisms.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?