Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where to start from?

1. Nov 18, 2005 #1
    Our physics class is going to be doing a project soon called the "Scrambler", and I have no clue where to start from. Our teacher never explained designs with us.

The rules are that each contestant will design and build a system that will transport a Grade A uncooked large chicken egg (5.0 - 15.0 cm above the ground) a distance between 8.000 - 12.000 meters as fast as possible without leaving a 2m wide lane.

The system consists of two parts, the egg transport subsystem and the energy propulsion subsystem. These subsystems may be seperate or combined into a single unit. And the source of energy will only come from a 1.000 kg mass in freefall. Also, we can't use any excessive accesories such as electronics or springs.

The performance value is going to be calculated by 3 times the run time plus stopping distance.
    Performance = [3 * Run Time (seconds) + Stopping Distance (cm)]

As I said, I have a limited idea of what to do and what parts to use. As far as I know of, a pulley system would be good. Any designs or links to designs to get me started would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2005 #2

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Build a slingshot and protect the egg using foam. You'll go the distance, EASY.

4. Nov 19, 2005 #3

Danger

Gold Member

You lost me on that one, Alkatran. How in the world would you put a gravity-operated slingshot into action?

5. Nov 19, 2005 #4
    Yeah, we can't use slingshots because that's elastic. We could do trebouches (sp?) but that's really hard.

6. Nov 19, 2005 #5

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps I should have read the specifications more clearly :uhh: .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?