Designing a Physics Project: "Scrambler

• Thread starter MajikWaffle
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a physics class project called the "Scrambler" which involves designing and building a system to transport a Grade A uncooked large chicken egg a distance of 8.000 - 12.000 meters in a 2m wide lane, using a 1.000 kg mass in freefall as the only source of energy. The system consists of two parts - the egg transport subsystem and the energy propulsion subsystem - and the performance value will be calculated based on the run time and stopping distance. The participants are discussing different ideas, such as using a pulley system or a trebuchet, to complete the project.
MajikWaffle
Our physics class is going to be doing a project soon called the "Scrambler", and I have no clue where to start from. Our teacher never explained designs with us.

The rules are that each contestant will design and build a system that will transport a Grade A uncooked large chicken egg (5.0 - 15.0 cm above the ground) a distance between 8.000 - 12.000 meters as fast as possible without leaving a 2m wide lane.

The system consists of two parts, the egg transport subsystem and the energy propulsion subsystem. These subsystems may be separate or combined into a single unit. And the source of energy will only come from a 1.000 kg mass in freefall. Also, we can't use any excessive accesories such as electronics or springs.

The performance value is going to be calculated by 3 times the run time plus stopping distance.
Performance = [3 * Run Time (seconds) + Stopping Distance (cm)]

As I said, I have a limited idea of what to do and what parts to use. As far as I know of, a pulley system would be good. Any designs or links to designs to get me started would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Build a slingshot and protect the egg using foam. You'll go the distance, EASY.

You lost me on that one, Alkatran. How in the world would you put a gravity-operated slingshot into action?

Yeah, we can't use slingshots because that's elastic. We could do trebouches (sp?) but that's really hard.

Danger said:
You lost me on that one, Alkatran. How in the world would you put a gravity-operated slingshot into action?

Perhaps I should have read the specifications more clearly :uhh: .

1. What is a "Scrambler" physics project?

A "Scrambler" physics project is a project that involves designing and building a device that can move and rotate an object, such as an egg, without breaking it. This project typically involves concepts such as force, motion, and energy.

2. What materials are needed for a "Scrambler" project?

The materials needed for a "Scrambler" project may vary, but commonly include items such as wood, rubber bands, wheels, pulleys, and other simple machine components. You may also need tools such as scissors, glue, and a ruler.

3. How do you design a "Scrambler" project?

To design a "Scrambler" project, you will first need to understand the physics principles involved, such as force, motion, and energy. Then, you can brainstorm and sketch different designs that could accomplish the goal of moving and rotating an object without breaking it. You may also want to research and gather ideas from similar projects.

4. What are some tips for building a successful "Scrambler" project?

Some tips for building a successful "Scrambler" project include carefully following your design plan, testing and making adjustments as needed, using sturdy and well-fitting materials, and paying attention to details such as weight distribution and friction. It is also important to have patience and not get discouraged if your first attempt is not successful.

5. What are some safety precautions to keep in mind while working on a "Scrambler" project?

While working on a "Scrambler" project, it is important to wear appropriate safety gear, such as goggles and gloves, when using tools or handling potentially hazardous materials. It is also important to work in a well-ventilated area and follow all instructions and precautions provided with any materials or tools used. Lastly, always be cautious and ask for help if needed.