Where Should I Post This Hypothetical on Gravitational Waves and Detectors?

• Thread starter pawprint
  • Start date
In summary, a forum thread titled "Help! My Waistline is a Rotating Ellipse..." was proposed to discuss the topic of gravitational waves and their detectors in a humorous and informative way. The thread would include hypothetical scenarios and reference links to any controversial hypotheses. The poster was unsure of which forum to post in and received suggestions for either astrophysics or SR/GR forums.
pawprint
Hi folk-

I'd like to start a thread on the general issue of gravitational waves and their detectors. I want to make it amusing and informative, and 'grow' it every few days. It's a hypothetical, but certainly is not 'original research' or 'overly speculative'. Reference links will be attached to any controversial hypotheses.

Thread title- "Help! My Waistline is a Rotating Ellipse...", the first posted lines to be-

Help! My waistline is a rotating ellipse and my friend in Alaska says she's changing height 8 times a second.

or- A Hypothetical for Cosmologists.

* * *​

Does this belong in Astronomy, Cosmology, S & GR or the trash basket?

Newbie Rick

P.S. I'm not even sure I've posted THIS in the right place.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would think either astrophysics or SR/GR forums. Don't make it too flip. (It isn't really cosmology).

Thanks again PAllen. It won't begin until the literary side is sorted as well as the scientific base.

1. How do I decide on a topic for my thread?

Choosing a topic for your thread can be a daunting task, but it's important to pick something that you are passionate about or have expertise in. Consider your audience and what topics they would be interested in discussing. You can also browse through existing threads to get ideas and see what topics are popular.

2. What should be the first post in my thread?

The first post in your thread should be an introduction to the topic and a clear statement of what you want to discuss. You can also include any relevant background information or context to help readers understand the purpose of the thread. This post will set the tone for the rest of the discussion, so make sure it is clear and engaging.

3. How can I make my thread stand out from others?

One way to make your thread stand out is to use an attention-grabbing title. Make sure it accurately reflects the topic and is concise and interesting. You can also include visual elements such as images or videos to make your thread more visually appealing. Finally, actively engage with your readers and respond to their comments to keep the discussion going.

4. Is it better to start a new thread or contribute to an existing one?

This depends on the topic and the current discussions happening on the forum. If you have a unique perspective or new information to share, it may be better to start a new thread. However, if there is already an active discussion on a similar topic, it may be more beneficial to contribute to that thread instead of starting a new one.

5. How can I ensure my thread is successful?

To ensure your thread is successful, it's important to actively participate in the discussion and encourage others to do the same. This includes responding to comments, asking thought-provoking questions, and keeping the conversation respectful and on-topic. Additionally, promoting your thread through social media or other online platforms can help attract more readers and increase engagement.

Back