1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where to start when its been a while?

1. Feb 15, 2016 #1
    Hi Guys,

So I'm 27 and I haven't touched GCSE Maths or Physics for a ,long while and if i'm honest didn't pay that much attention during school in these subjects either.

Recently, through the power of age, I've developed an interest in physics and now I am obsessed with learning as much as I can about this wonderful subject and the accompanying maths skills.

I've picked up a few books such as Susskind's Theoretical minimum but I feel its still pitched at a level i'm not at yet.

What I am wondering is what maths skills should I be re-learning in order to help me develop my physics knowledge?

I'm looking at self study and will be using resources such as Khan academy but any other resources you could suggest would be great.

thanks

Scott

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2016 #2

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

4. Feb 15, 2016 #3
    Yes keep working on KA. You methodology should be to do mastery challenges as soon as they become available. KA is built around the "Curve of Forgetting" and will reinforce subjects at an optimal interval.

But note that KA should be an exercise supplement to your primary source, which will be books. I personally recommend you start with this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0992001005

5. Feb 15, 2016 #4

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't depend on online videos, they're a crutch that you won't have later on. It's better to get used to reading text books and figuring things out on your own.

I don't know how the UK works, if you have what's the equivalent to US community colleges where you can be placed and offered remedial classes. You should look at enrolling in some type of accredited university, take the remedial courses, and then continue on with your planned degree.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook