What are the best resources for learning physics as a high school student?

In summary, the speaker is a 10th grade student in the US looking to learn more about topics like relativity, quantum mechanics, and electromagnetism. They currently have a basic understanding of physics and are also interested in learning more about calculus. They are seeking advice on where to find resources to supplement their learning and plan to take AP Physics in their 12th year. They are reminded to focus on learning the fundamentals before tackling more advanced concepts.
magicsdevil
I realize that you guys have a forum for learning resources/materials, but I was having a bit of a hard time trying to sift though the material and pick up on things that I could understand and would benefit me.
(I realize that this might not be the right section to post in, but I wasn't able to post in the learning resources forum, so feel free to move this where ever.)

I am currently only in the 10th grade here in the US and so I have some pretty skeletal understanding of the kind of stuff that belongs on this forum. However I am not completely clueless, and I am currently finishing the Physics and AP Chemistry courses at my high school. Most of the things covered in Physics are basic motion equations, gravitation, conservation of momentum, small amounts of astronomy, etc.

I am really interested in things like relativity, QM, electromagnetism, more complex mechanics, etc.

Sadly I also need some maths to go with it as in the curriculum I am in I am currently in Algebra 2. Which at least at my school is a pretty easy class and I have felt that I might be better off supplementing my learning of maths online as well.

I do plan on taking AP Physics my 12th year, but as I said, I am still working towards calculus (so pre-calculus, I guess) and would like to be able to learn calculus in the relatively near future.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me!

Physics news on Phys.org
Learn the basics, as everything is built off of them. If you don't learn the classical concepts that you listed, you cannot learn the more advanced stuff that you want to learn. Physics, and especially very advanced physics, is like a tall building with the more advanced stuff further up. You can't build a skyscraper if you don't have the first 10 floors and the foundation.

1. Where should I begin when learning physics?

When it comes to learning physics, it's important to start with the basics. This includes understanding fundamental concepts such as units, measurements, and dimensions. It's also helpful to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly algebra and trigonometry.

2. How can I make learning physics easier?

One way to make learning physics easier is to break down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also try using real-world examples to help understand abstract concepts. Additionally, practicing problems and seeking help from a tutor or teacher can also make learning physics easier.

3. Is it necessary to have prior knowledge before starting to learn physics?

Having some prior knowledge in mathematics and science can be helpful, but it is not necessary to have a deep understanding before starting to learn physics. Physics can be learned from the ground up, starting with basic concepts and building upon them.

4. What resources are available for learning physics?

There are many resources available for learning physics, including textbooks, online courses, and educational videos. You can also find practice problems and quizzes online to help reinforce your understanding. It's also helpful to seek out a tutor or join a study group for additional support.

5. How can I apply what I've learned in physics to the real world?

Physics is a fundamental science that can be applied to many real-world situations. By understanding the principles of physics, you can better understand how the world works and even solve practical problems. Additionally, many careers, such as engineering and medicine, utilize physics principles on a daily basis.