• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Where to start with this problem?

Homework Statement

You are pushing a 150-kg wooden crate in a straight line a distance of 4.5 m across a wooden floor at constant speed. The static and kinetic coefficients of friction are 0.42 and 0.30, respectively. What is the work done by you on the crate? and What is the work done by friction on the crate?

I understand that with constant speed meas that my acceleration is zero, but after that I am lost.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Answers and Replies

Show your work.

ok here's what I did work is W=F*s.

I multiply 0.30(kinetic energy) because the crate is in motion by 150kg by 9.81m/s^2 which gave me 441.45N as my frictional force. Now I have my force I will multiply it by my displacement to give me my work.

441.45N*4.5m= 1986.525J.

I did it and submitted the answer and received a 1/10 from this problem. What did I do wrong?

ok here's what I did work is W=F*s.

I multiply 0.30(kinetic energy) because the crate is in motion by 150kg by 9.81m/s^2 which gave me 441.45N as my frictional force. Now I have my force I will multiply it by my displacement to give me my work.

441.45N*4.5m= 1986.525J.

I did it and submitted the answer and received a 1/10 from this problem. What did I do ##wrong?
Your solution seems fine for "work done by you". "work done by friction" would be negative of the calculated value. Also note that your answer should have only two significant figures. That means answer should have been ##2.0~kJ##. This could be the reason you were marked down.