1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where to start?

1. Jun 21, 2009 #1
    I want to study physics. Where should I start? If this is the wrong section please forgive me.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2009 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

PF is a good place to start.

What background does one have?

4. Jun 21, 2009 #3
    I am 14. I have no physics background except the 3 laws of motion. the coanda effect and bernoulli's principal? What is PF?

5. Jun 21, 2009 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

PF is PhysicsForums, which is this place!

What is your background in mathematics? Any calculus? Differential? Integral?

Have you learned first order differential equations?

Perhaps one should find an Introductory Physics textbook.

6. Jun 21, 2009 #5
    I'm going to be a sophmore in September. I have already taken Living Environment and Math A/Algebra.

7. Jun 22, 2009 #6
    You're going to want to learn so math before you can study physics in any mathematical depth. Currently I'd start by trying to learn some geometry and the concepts covered in algebra 2.

That's not to say you can't learn any physics. There are a lot of book written for everyday people. A Brief History of Time comes to mind, and books like that.

8. Jun 22, 2009 #7

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

Read Feynman's lectures, they don't involve too much problem solving (which offsets the need for calculus, for now) while you learn the math necessary to do those problems.

Or you can also read algebra-based physics books, there are a bunch of them everywhere.

9. Jun 23, 2009 #8
    Can Feynman's lectures be purchased at a Barnes & Noble store?

10. Jun 23, 2009 #9

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

Unfortunately, I think you have to purchase it online.

Although there should be copies lying around in public libraries. It's such a well-known book (or collection of books, I should say).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook