Advice for 21yo Going to Community College: Where to Start?

In summary, the individual is 21 and going back to school after leaving the military. They can barely afford a local community college and plan on taking general education courses before transferring to a different school. They are seeking advice and prefer to stay in California. They are encouraged to look for scholarships and on-campus jobs to help with expenses. Student loans may also be an option to consider.
cmiglis
Where to start?

I am 21 and I am going back to school (the military didn't work out). I can barely afford a local community college with the little student aid I am receiving from fafsa. The most practical community college nearby has nothing close to a Mechanical Engineer program, so I am planning on taking gen. ed. and then I am going to transfer somewhere as soon as I can get some money saved up. I would greatly appreciate some advice. I really want to keep it in California. If you need more details, please ask. I just want some good advice. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

cmiglis said:
o I am planning on taking gen. ed. and then I am going to transfer somewhere as soon as I can get some money saved up.
That sounds like a sane plan, and if you get some decent grades you may even qualify for a scholarship at the school you transfer into. Transfer into a public school if you're still short of cash, 'cause where you get the degree (so long as it's accredited) doesn't really matter if you plan to work as an engineer, and the Cali system has a good reputation.

Look for scholarships! Are you by any chance an underrepresented minority (black/hispanic/female)? Lots of scholarships out there for that. There are all sorts of scholarships for all sorts of things, and the community college may have info on a bunch of them. Most school's have a webpage for scholarships too (it's usually on the financial aid page.) Also look for on campus and work study jobs-they tend to be flexible and understanding about exams and stuff and generally a good option for students.

Student loans aren't actually the worst option ever if you're doing the public school route. They may end up being a reasonable amount to pay back at the end. Talk to the people in financial aid at the community college and local public college and do some math.

First of all, congratulations on making the decision to further your education! Going to community college is a great option for many students and can provide a solid foundation for your future academic and career goals.

my advice would be to start by researching the community colleges in your area and their specific programs and offerings. While the most practical community college nearby may not have a Mechanical Engineer program, there may be other community colleges that do offer this program that are within a reasonable distance for you to commute to. It's important to consider all of your options and not limit yourself to just one college.

Additionally, I would recommend reaching out to academic advisors or counselors at the community colleges you are interested in to discuss your goals and see what resources they have available to help you achieve them. They may have information on transfer agreements with four-year universities or scholarship opportunities that could help you save money.

It's also important to prioritize your courses and make sure you are taking classes that will transfer to a four-year university. This will save you time and money in the long run. You may also want to consider taking online courses or enrolling in a part-time program to help balance your financial situation.

Overall, my advice would be to stay determined and focused on your goals. Community college can be a great stepping stone towards a successful future, so don't be discouraged by any challenges you may face. Good luck on your journey!

1. What courses should I take at community college as a 21-year-old?

The courses you should take at community college will depend on your academic goals and career aspirations. It's best to meet with an academic advisor to discuss your interests and develop a plan of study that aligns with your goals.

2. How can I make the most of my time at community college as a 21-year-old?

To make the most of your time at community college, it's important to stay organized and focused. Take advantage of resources such as tutoring services and study groups. Get involved in extracurricular activities and build relationships with classmates and professors.

3. Will community college classes transfer to a four-year university?

Most community college courses are transferable to four-year universities. However, it's important to research the specific transfer policies of the universities you are interested in attending. Meeting with an academic advisor can also help ensure that you are taking the appropriate courses for transfer.

4. How can I balance work and school as a 21-year-old attending community college?

Balancing work and school can be challenging, but it's important to prioritize your commitments and manage your time effectively. Consider taking online or evening classes if you have a job during the day. Communicate with your employer and professors if you need to adjust your schedule for exams or other important deadlines.

5. Is it worth going to community college as a 21-year-old instead of a four-year university?

Attending community college can be a more affordable option for obtaining a degree, and many community colleges have partnerships with four-year universities for seamless transfer. Additionally, community colleges often offer smaller class sizes and more personalized attention from professors. It's important to weigh your options and consider your individual circumstances to determine if community college is the best choice for you.