Where Were You Born? Lightning, Ooze, or a Thermal Vent?

• Thread starter thankz
  • Start date
In summary, the person was born in a variety of locations, including America, New Zealand, and Austria. They were born on different days, in different years, and at different times of the day.
thankz
I was born on top of a thermal vent deep in the ocean. :-p or maybe it was lightning and ooze, hmm maybe the vent is older, who knows?

maybe I'm coronal discharge, :wideeyed::biggrin:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I was born in a tiny hospital in Skowhegan, Maine. I don't know what that building is used for now. The current hospital is HUGE.

Torrance, California

I don't remember!:oldcry:

I was born under a wondering star.

hello, i am new here.. nice to know all of you..i was born in Indonesia.. 1994.. :D

Dublin Ireland 1976 ,and yes I'm sick of rain

Likes at94official
wolram said:
I was born under a wondering star

if you were quoting the song ... I suspect you meant wandering star :wink:I was born in Timaru, New Zealand, 1959

Pskov, Russia, 1990 at 8:32pm

I was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, a city on the Ohio River. My father was in France at the time (WW II), serving in the US Army Air Corps. He didn't seem me for nearly a year and a half.

Born and bred in Viena, Austria.

Likes nuuskur
Silicon Valley! But it wasn't Silicon Valley back then. It was just Mountain View.

Wellington, New Zealand: Saturday 13th February 1988

the city of los angeles. hi !

1. Where does lightning typically form?

Lightning typically forms in cumulonimbus clouds, which are large, tall, and dense thunderclouds. These clouds are formed through the combination of warm, moist air rising rapidly and cool, dry air sinking. The separation of charges within the cloud and between the cloud and the ground leads to the formation of lightning.

2. How is lightning created?

There are several theories about how lightning is created, but the most widely accepted theory is that lightning is created through the buildup and discharge of electrical energy in the atmosphere. This energy can be created by the separation of positive and negative charges within a cloud, or between a cloud and the ground. When the difference in charges becomes too great, a lightning bolt is created to balance out the charges.

3. What is the difference between cloud-to-ground and intra-cloud lightning?

Cloud-to-ground lightning is the most common type of lightning and occurs when a bolt of lightning travels from a cloud to the ground. Intra-cloud lightning, on the other hand, occurs within the same cloud or between different clouds, and does not reach the ground. Both types of lightning can be dangerous, but cloud-to-ground lightning poses a greater risk to humans as it can strike directly.

4. Can lightning strike from a clear blue sky?

Yes, lightning can strike from a clear blue sky. This type of lightning is known as "bolt from the blue" and occurs when a lightning bolt travels horizontally from a distant thunderstorm cloud to the ground. It can also occur when a thunderstorm has dissipated but the electric field is still present in the surrounding area.

5. Can lightning form in oceans or bodies of water?

Yes, lightning can form in oceans or bodies of water. In fact, lightning over water is quite common, with an estimated 70% of all lightning strikes occurring over the world's oceans. This is because water is a good conductor of electricity, and the warm, moist air over the water can create the perfect conditions for thunderstorms to form and produce lightning.