Where will the image of the candle be formed?

• Thread starter kihr
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the conversation discusses the formation of an image of a candle flame placed 6 metres above the water level in a water tank 4 metres deep. The refractive index of water is given as 4/3 and the question is where the image will be formed. The answer given in the book is 6 metres below the water level, possibly indicating reflection rather than refraction. The significance of the given depth of the tank and the refractive index is questioned, with the possibility of them being irrelevant or used to confuse the student.
kihr

Homework Statement

A water tank is 4 meters deep. A candle flame is kept 6 metres above the level of the water. Mu for water is 4/3. Where will the image of the candle be formed?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I need a few clues to proceed. If I consider refraction at the water surface the image will be formed above the candle flame. The answer given in the book is 6 metres below the water level.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi kihr! :wink:
kihr said:
A water tank is 4 meters deep. A candle flame is kept 6 metres above the level of the water. Mu for water is 4/3. Where will the image of the candle be formed?

The answer given in the book is 6 metres below the water level.

I think they must mean reflection, not refraction. :smile:

It depends on the position of the observer. An observer above the water sees the mirror image of the candle. An observer looking up would see the candle flame above the real one.

ehild

If we consider the surface of water as a mirror the answer is simple. But then what is the significance of giving the depth of the tank and the refractive index of water in this problem? This is what has confused me. Could you throw some light on this please?

I can not read the mind of other people. Maybe, there are more questions in your book, concerning the same set-up. Sometimes more data are given in a problem than necessary so as the student should choose which are relevant.

ehild

Thanks. I think the whole idea might have been to confuse the student!

1. Where will the image of the candle be formed if the candle is placed in front of a concave mirror?

The image of the candle will be formed between the focal point and the center of curvature of the concave mirror. The exact location of the image will depend on the distance between the candle and the mirror.

2. Can the image of the candle be formed in front of the mirror?

No, the image of the candle can only be formed behind the mirror in a concave mirror. This is because the light rays from the candle converge and then diverge after reflecting off the mirror, creating a virtual image that appears to be behind the mirror.

3. Will the image of the candle be upright or inverted?

The image of the candle formed by a concave mirror will be inverted. This is because the light rays from the top and bottom of the candle cross over each other when reflecting off the mirror, resulting in an inverted image.

4. How can I determine the size of the image of the candle?

The size of the image of the candle can be determined using the magnification equation: M = -v/u, where M is the magnification, v is the image distance, and u is the object distance. A magnification of less than 1 indicates a smaller image, while a magnification greater than 1 indicates a larger image.

5. Is the image of the candle real or virtual?

The image of the candle formed by a concave mirror is virtual. This means that the light rays from the candle do not actually converge at a point to form the image, but they appear to come from a point behind the mirror. This can be seen by placing a screen at the location of the image, where the image will be visible but cannot be projected onto the screen.