1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where will the pulses meet?

1. May 2, 2004 #1
    I'm having a hard time with this problem, and was wondering if somebody can help
    A wire 10.3 m long have a mass of 97.8 g is stretched under tension of 248N. If two pulses, separated in time by 29.6 ms, are generated on at each end of the wire, where will the pulses meet?

Plz e-mail if anybody has a way to do this problem
    dj_werd@hotmail.com

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Unless this is a course in partial differential equations, you were probably given a formula for wave speed on a stretched wire: if I remember correctly it is
    [tex]c= \sqrt{(\frac{T}{\rho})} [/tex]
    where T is the tension and ρ is the linear density of the wire (mass divided by length). Once you know the wave speed, it should be easy to determine where the pulses meet.

4. May 3, 2004 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I get a wave speed of 161.6 m/s and that the two pulses meet 7.54 m from the end at which the first pulse started.

5. Nov 19, 2010 #4
    Okay so I understand how to get the wave speed, but I am not really sure how you found the distance on where the pulses will meet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?