Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where wine flavors come from

1. May 28, 2009 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Where wine "flavors" come from

It's mainly from the fermentation apparently. I've always wondered about what process prompts a reviewer to describe a wine as having

"aromas of pineapples, apples and kiwi fruit, with complements of spice, butter, caramel, vanilla and toasty oak"

when none of these substances (except for the oak) are added in the wine-making process!

http://www.winexmagazine.com/index.php/wine/viewdrink/fermenting-for-flavors/

I just thought this was an interesting article - good enough to share.

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2009 #2
    Re: Where wine "flavors" come from

Welcome back. :approve:

4. May 28, 2009 #3

I've heard supposedly that they add certain fruits and such to the mulch they use when growing the grapes to add different flavours. Maybe that isn't true, or perhaps they believed it worked but it was really part of the fermentation process that created the flavours.

5. May 29, 2009 #4

I briefly worked for a french restaurant specializing in french wines. They had a dedicated wine expert who was hired to explain the flavors in wines. While I don't remember everything they taught us, I do remember the basics.

The type of grape has the biggest influence. The most important characteristic of the grape is the thickness of the skin which determines how much tannin is in the grape, which determines how much sweetness or alcohol can be obtained.

The second major influence is the growing conditions, in particular the grape's exposure to sunlight. Does it have consistent hot sun on it, or is it in shade, or does it have inconsistent sunlight, etc..all this has a major effect on how the grape matures and tastes. This is why wines in similar regions may taste similarly..for example in Loire valley, Bordeux, Rhone, or in cali you have Napa valley etc. Depending on the type of grape, it is better grown in different regions.

Another influence is the local terroir...this just means all the other growing conditions. The minerals in the soil (eg, is there bedrock right underneath, limestone, etc) or is there an apple orchard neardby...some places will plant apple trees next to their grapes just so that the apples rot and fall in the soil and hopefully influence the flavor of the grapes. How much difference does this actually make? I do not know

6. May 30, 2009 #5

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"A wine grape is a unique fruit in that it contains natural chemical compounds that are also found in other fruits and vegetables."

:bugeye:

7. May 30, 2009 #6

neu

Flavour has a u in it. Accidental spelling mistakes are fine but someone should have nipped this one in the bud decades ago. The same goes for colour and favourite

8. May 30, 2009 #7

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nipped? then you ought to know that nip means you're running around in your birthday suit :smile:

9. May 30, 2009 #8

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually there may be a much simpler explanation (at least for the dominant flavor). It comes from the substrate you are fermenting. One time in my college biochem lab, there were plastic gallon containers all bubbling CO2 into flasks on my bench. Each container had a unique label; strawberry, watermelon, peach, cranberry, banana. Each fruit was being fermented into wine.

10. May 30, 2009 #9

Please consult an English dictionary.

11. May 30, 2009 #10

junglebeast gives an excellent summary of many of the dominant factors.

I'll just add another one I can think of that I don't think he got to... the container that the wine is fermented in, as well as the length of fermentation in that container. Some people really like "oak" and different types can give different flavor hints or tones... from decidedly woody or earthy, to astringent or tannic, to spicy (like cinnamon, clove, etc.). I found this rather neat http://www.worldcooperage.com/default.aspx" [Broken] that sells different oak barrels.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  12. May 30, 2009 #11

I doubt they think you are gay. I have no idea why anyone would think homosexuals are teetotalers. They may think you are 'uptight' or perhaps overly religious. There are alot of people who do not drink or smoke that will lecture or look down upon others who do. That is not to say you would do such a thing but some people may think that you would.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2009
  13. May 31, 2009 #12

http://www.winexmagazine.com/index.php/wine/viewdrink/fermenting-for-flavors/

There's more to the article if you want to read a bit more, but this is a much more coherent explanation than I can offer for how the various flavours blossom in grape wine.

P.S. Yes, there's a "u" in flavour.

14. May 31, 2009 #13

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You mean "please consult and American dictionary".

15. Jun 3, 2009 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

16. Jun 3, 2009 #15

neu

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/flavour?view=uk

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/colour?view=uk

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/favourite?view=uk

You shouldn't leave to others what can be done by yourself. (Although I just read back that sentence and finding myself disagreeing with it)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook