Where would I shop for safe to drink lab alcohol?

In summary, In order to purchase laboratory-grade, non denatured ethanol, an individual will need to acquire a federal permit and find a supplier who sells the material HPLC grade or USP grade.
tarakan
Hello.
I am performing some biochemical process where the end product is going to be intended for human consumption.

I am curious where I can buy large quantities of ethanol that is safe for drinking.
I don't want to use the liquor store corn alcohol because it has some impurities reintroduced back into it to make it taste better. This is not what I need.

No, I am not planning to drink it. No, I am not making drugs.

I live in United States, in the state of Maryland. What kind of permits do I need to buy laboratory-grade, non denatured ethanol that doesn't smell like cheap corn booze and can be used to make extractions?

Thank you.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I would get HPLC grade or USP grade alcohol from your usual supplier. The supplier will know exactly what you need to purchase their product.
http://www.lyondellbasell.com/techlit/techlit/Brochures/Ethyl_Alcohol 9551.pdf
You might need a federal permit if your institution doesn't already have one. If you are working at home... good luck. You may not even be able to find a supplier willing to sell ANYTHING to you.

I can't find a lab supplier that sells alcohol on the Internet. Nobody advertises anything like that. I don't understand how this market works. Liquor stores don't sell pure alcohol either. Only Everclear for rednecks.

Clearly you didn't read the pamphlet attached to Post #2.

The interstate sale and transport of ethyl alcohol is regulated by the BATF, now the BATFe. The 'A' stands for Alcohol, specifically the ethanol variety. There are also state and local laws as well which regulate the sale and transport of EA, in whatever form. Although federal Prohibition ended in 1933, there are still a number of cities and counties in the US which prohibit the manufacture, sale, possession, or consumption of EA (such cities and counties are referred to as being 'dry'). There are also tax issues, since EA is taxed variously at the state and local level. There are federal excise taxes for EA beverages.

You can find 200 proof EA at lab supply houses, but this material has been denatured with methanol and propanol.

http://www.labdepotinc.com/Product_Details~id~871~pid~61530.aspx

If you could get over you elitist aversion to Everclear, you could rig up a simple still to purify the EA and drink what's left, either straight or as a mixer. Having paid your taxes, you'd also be copacetic with the local authorities.
If you don't like the smell, what the hell, you want everything simple?

I read the PDF but it doesn't answer my question since I am not trying to escape taxes, resell alcohol or buy industrial amounts of it. I am trying to find alcohol that was purified beyond what I can find in liquor stores. If it is still classified as liquor, I don't mind that.

SteamKing said:
If you could get over you elitist aversion to Everclear, you could rig up a simple still to purify the EA and drink what's left, either straight or as a mixer. Having paid your taxes, you'd also be copacetic with the local authorities.
If you don't like the smell, what the hell, you want everything simple?

Extractions are used in herbal medicine for example. This kind of therapy is not respected in this country but it doesn't mean that I will stop what I am doing.

I want alcohol without any traces of impurities. Since finding grape alcohol is hard around here as well I don't know what to do.

You can purchase pure, un-denatured ethanol - but it requires a BATF permit. Most research laboratories and universities have these permits, so if you can arrange to do your work in conjunction with a biological or medical researcher that is willing to sponsor your work, well then ...

If not, then you can certainly apply for the permits and pay the taxes yourself.

Here is a source: See http://www.pharmcoaaper.com/pages/Ethanol_Products/ep1.pdf

If it's got to be grape alcohol, you better build a still, buy all the cheap ripple you can lay your hands on, and start cookin'. There aren't too many vineyards in MD. Like the pamphlet says, most pure alcohol is sourced from fermented grain.

You'll never get any better than 95 percent alcohol by distillation, but maybe that will work for you. Fisher Scientific, Sigma Aldrich, VWR all sell pure, USP grade (that means it's safe to drink without aldulterants) ethyl alcohol. Perhaps if you find the Internet too difficult to navigate you should hire a nice, qualified chemist?

BTW, you will never be on the right side of the law if you distill ethanol without a permit, regardless of quantity.

Last edited:

1. Where can I purchase safe to drink lab alcohol?

Safe to drink lab alcohol can be purchased at most scientific supply stores or ordered online from reputable suppliers. It is important to ensure that the alcohol is labeled for consumption and not just for laboratory use.

2. Is lab alcohol safe for human consumption?

Yes, as long as it is labeled as "safe to drink" and not just for laboratory use. Lab alcohol is typically distilled and filtered to remove impurities, making it safe for human consumption.

3. How can I be sure that the lab alcohol I am purchasing is safe to drink?

Always check the label for any warnings or indications that the alcohol is not safe for consumption. Look for phrases such as "not for human consumption" or "for laboratory use only." You can also research the supplier and their reputation for providing safe lab alcohol.

4. Are there any regulations or guidelines for safe to drink lab alcohol?

Yes, there are regulations in place for the production and labeling of safe to drink lab alcohol. In the United States, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulates the production and labeling of food-grade alcohols, including those used in laboratories.

5. Can I use regular lab alcohol for drinking purposes?

No, regular lab alcohol is not safe for consumption. It is important to use alcohol specifically labeled as safe to drink, as regular lab alcohol may contain impurities or contaminants that could be harmful if ingested.