Where would you like to retire or purchase a vacation home?

• Thread starter Zantra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Home
In summary, Zantra thinks that Spain is a good place to retire because the people are warm and the climate is good. He also recommends British Columbia because it's a beautiful place and it's very affordable.
Zantra
I was just mulling this over recently. I was looking at homes in Jamaica, Italy, and Frace. I've ruled out France because it's too expensive and they hate americans. Italy is a bit cheaper, and they seem a bit more receptive to americans. Spain had crossed my mind as well.

Call it wanderlust, but the thought of spending my formative years in the US just doesn't sound appealing. I've also heard there are american retirement communities in Costa Rica.Anyone ever given this thought? Any recommendations on the best place in europe to purchase a home that is receptive to americans?

No, I'm not rich, just optimistic:wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
I would recommend Spain very laid back communities out there and the weather is nice as well, the canarie and balearic islands are very nice as well.

I don't know where i would like to retire too, i would like to be able to buy a nice house out in the countryside away from the hassle of everyday life but close enough to still see my friends and family.

But i can't afford anything at the moment.

I like Italy, Italiens are also well known for their hospitality (when you get to know them that is).

British Columbia, with a huge A frame home, a hot tub on my deck and miles from the city

BC is too cold for my taste, but I've heard it's beautiful.
Spain sounds nice. Running of the bulls, tomato festival. Tres cool=)
Canarie And Baleric islands I hadn't considered(greece..hmm) But what about Corsica? From what I've seen and heard of Belgium it's really nice.

One of these days I need to take a grand tour of Europe. I could get around most of the EU with fluent french, right?

Originally posted by Andy
I would recommend Spain very laid back communities out there and the weather is nice as well, the canarie and balearic islands are very nice as well.

I don't know where i would like to retire too, i would like to be able to buy a nice house out in the countryside away from the hassle of everyday life but close enough to still see my friends and family.

But i can't afford anything at the moment.

Ya, when I thought of France, this is what I pictured. A nice quiet farm near the cote d'azure or somewhere in bordeaux country or near the seine. But it seems like it's so expensive there, it wouldn't be worth it. England's beautiful, but way too expensive and it rains all the time

Originally posted by Zantra
One of these days I need to take a grand tour of Europe. I could get around most of the EU with fluent french, right?
HaHAA! VERY funny, lol

Sorry Zantra, but I think you are not going to get far with French, in Italy they only speak Italian, I am not too sure about Spain and such though..

But with English you will get anywhere (except Italy) and with German you'll get far too (further than with French, except in France that is :P)

hmm.. I'm not learning 3 more languages I'll just have to get by with english..hehehe

BC is too cold for my taste, but I've heard it's beautiful.

I have been in BC and if you are in the Okanagan Valley it's not taht cold. Summer temperature are up to 50C and it does rain that often but nigth are cold 10C. The Okanagan Valley is also consider a desert. Winter does go below zero but not often and it quite short. Also the Okanagan Valley is a really nice place with many beaches, fruit farms and wineries but it can be quite expensive.

The Okanagan Valley will probably the place I'll head for my retirement and I'll buy a winery.

Spain had crossed my mind as well.

My cousin went there this summer and I have friend from there. They said It's one the cheapest place in Europe and the temperature and the people (My friends know how to have fun and party) are great.

hmm.. I'm not learning 3 more languages I'll just have to get by with english..hehehe
that would be the best idea, yes but you DO realize that if you are going to retire or purchase a long term vacation home, you'll be forces to learn the native language of that country? People otherwise won't accept you, now matter how well they speak english.

I have been to Italy several times, and they just do not speak a single word English.. maybe in the large tourist cities they will, but anywhere outside they won't. The surprising thing for me: I was even unable to communicate with the local youth.

A question like: where can I find the restaurant, or: restaurant?? could not be answered, then I started trying my primitive Italian: restauranti? Didn't help either.. But when you ARE able to communicate with them they become very passionate people :)

And why aren't you thinking about The Netherlands?? Eh?

I know, it is too crowded over here..

Well I have toyed with taking another language, but I was leaning towards japanese. Spanish would be fairly easy(in comparison). I suppose all the euro languages are correlated and have influences on each other. Italian- now there's a romance language if there ever was one. Ciao Bella!

I didn't consider the netherlands for the same reason I didn't consider BC.. COLD I don't mind a bit of cold, but nothing with snow. Been there, done that.

Last edited:
Australia

Both Sydney and Melbourne are very cosmopolitan, the weather is wonderful (pesky bushfires aside), the people friendly, ... and they can even understand the Septic Tanks! Plenty of very nice countryside ... and several smaller cities ... lots of good vinyards, great wine, ... but the Aussie dollar is now worth so much more (against the greenback) that it may not be so cheap for the likes of Zantra.

Of course, you could really go wild and move to Shanghai. Future centre of world finance and trade, international city, great buzz, fabulous food (but not your average 'local Chinese take-away') ... but you would have to learn Chinese.

Or take a leaf from Arthur C Clarke's book ... move to Sri Lanka (English works there).

I didn't consider the netherlands for the same reason I didn't consider BC.. COLD I don't mind a bit of cold, but nothing with snow. Been there, done that.
Snow, here? Maybe a full week out of a year an accumulation of 3 cm.. but yeah, it is always cloudy over here.. first time I actually saw a blue sky was when I was in the Italian Alps: the Dolomites, I went up for a hike to a glacier in the middle of summer and was thus very high up above the clouds.

And during my entire stay in Detroit I was amazed by the straight blue skies over there.. really. Which always amazed me, since it is surrounded by all those lakes.. ?

I feel in love with the US Virgin Islands when I vacationed there two years ago.

Originally posted by Nereid
Both Sydney and Melbourne are very cosmopolitan, the weather is wonderful (pesky bushfires aside), the people friendly, ... and they can even understand the Septic Tanks! Plenty of very nice countryside ... and several smaller cities ... lots of good vinyards, great wine, ... but the Aussie dollar is now worth so much more (against the greenback) that it may not be so cheap for the likes of Zantra.

Of course, you could really go wild and move to Shanghai. Future centre of world finance and trade, international city, great buzz, fabulous food (but not your average 'local Chinese take-away') ... but you would have to learn Chinese.

Or take a leaf from Arthur C Clarke's book ... move to Sri Lanka (English works there).

Always wanted to visit down under. I'll be doing that over the next year or 2. Shanghai sounds exotic, but I have a feeling that it's not my taste for settling down into live. Forbidden City is on my list though.

Originally posted by Monique
Snow, here? Maybe a full week out of a year an accumulation of 3 cm.. but yeah, it is always cloudy over here.. first time I actually saw a blue sky was when I was in the Italian Alps: the Dolomites, I went up for a hike to a glacier in the middle of summer and was thus very high up above the clouds.

And during my entire stay in Detroit I was amazed by the straight blue skies over there.. really. Which always amazed me, since it is surrounded by all those lakes.. ?

Ya michigan is great- in the summer:P. I can't imagine a place without blue skies.

Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
I feel in love with the US Virgin Islands when I vacationed there two years ago.

I'd love to move there too. I'll get back to you when I'm a millionaire.

You can heard sheep

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a retirement or vacation home location?

When choosing a retirement or vacation home location, it is important to consider factors such as climate, cost of living, proximity to family and friends, access to medical care, and the overall quality of life in the area. It is also important to think about your personal preferences and what activities and amenities you would like to have nearby.

2. How do I determine the cost of living in a potential retirement or vacation home location?

The cost of living in a retirement or vacation home location can vary greatly depending on factors such as housing prices, taxes, and the cost of goods and services. You can research this information online or consult with a financial advisor to get a better understanding of the cost of living in different areas.

3. Should I consider purchasing a retirement or vacation home in another country?

This decision ultimately depends on your personal preferences and priorities. Purchasing a home in another country can offer a unique cultural experience and potentially lower cost of living, but it also comes with potential challenges such as language barriers and differences in laws and regulations. It is important to thoroughly research and consider all factors before making a decision.

4. What are the tax implications of owning a retirement or vacation home?

The tax implications of owning a retirement or vacation home can vary depending on the location of the home and your personal tax situation. It is important to consult with a tax advisor to understand the potential tax implications and any tax benefits that may be available.

5. How do I choose a retirement or vacation home that will retain its value over time?

When choosing a retirement or vacation home, it is important to consider the location and the potential for growth and development in the area. It can also be helpful to research the real estate market and trends in the area. Consulting with a real estate agent or conducting thorough research can also help you make an informed decision about the potential for the home to retain its value over time.