Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where would you start?

1. Dec 21, 2004 #1
    I was wondering if you good folk could point me in the right direction. I am a lay person interested in physics, and after reading a good number of books aimed at the general public, it is oblivious that to have a deeper understanding I need to do the maths. And since I have the draw back of all ignorant people, i.e. I don’t know what I don’t know; a pointer to a starting point would be handy.
    Any text books, on-line resources you would recommend etc would be helpful, and I can have fun over the next few years and then maybe I will be able to understand some of the questions I see on here

Thanks

Kieron

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2004 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Since you didn't describe at what level your math background is, I'll make a guess. I suggest you start with the typical undergraduate intro physics text, such as Halliday and Resnick. It's a huge (and heavy) book, and makes a good door-stopper after you're done with it.

There are several online intro physics textbooks/sites. I haven't had time to go through these carefully, so while I'm suggesting it, I can't verify if these are completely accurate.

http://www.lightandmatter.com/
    http://motionmountain.dse.nl/contents.html

Zz.

4. Dec 24, 2004 #3
    There are two tools which are very helpful at a casual level -- the first is a good undertstanding of ordinary algebra -- if you cannot read an equation or see how someone has manipulated one to progress a step then you are stuck . And yet with a good High school algebra you can understand the elements of Special Relativity,
    The second is at least a grounding in calculus , not so much perhaps to actually do calculations because it gets rapidly complex -- but mainly to see why someone is tackling a problem in such a way and what they are aiming at.
    With this you may not be able to reproduce Maxwells equations -- but you can see what he was doing and why the result was EM waves .
    Third an appreciation of what is meant by 'complex numbers' and trigonometric functions like sines cosines etc -- without which it is hard to know what is meant by a wave.
    Clearly the list goes on according to what you would like to study , and perhaps one approach is to look at one or two areas you are interested in and see what they require to at least get an appreciation -- if you do this then you can ask more specific questions as to learning sources on specific topics .
    Ray.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?