1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where'd I go wrong (sound problems)

1. Jan 8, 2005 #1
    A mass of 5 kg hangs from a cord around a light pulley. The length between the vibrator and the pulley is 2 m. (A) When the vibrator is set to a frequency of 150 hz, a standing wave with 6 loops is formed. What must be the linear mass density of the cord?

First I figured the wave length was 2/3 m because there were 6 loops over 2 m

The Wavelength is equal to velocity over frequency

2/3 = V/150
    V=100 M/s

V = the squareroot of Ft (force of tension in the rope) divided by the mass of length

The Squareroot of Ft/(m/L) = V
    Ft = 49
    m=desired variable

I got .0033 kg for the answer when I plugged this all in. The correct answer is .0049. Thanks for the help
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2005 #2
    It looks good to me... Are you sure the "correct" answer is actually correct?
  4. Jan 8, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, read the question again. m is NOT the desired variable, it is m/L that you are required to determine. You would have noticed this if you looked at the units of the solution, kg/m (not kg).

What you've done so far is correct, but now you just have to find the linear density, [itex]\rho = m/L [/itex] from the equation :
    [tex]\sqrt{{\frac{49}{\rho}}} = 100 [/tex]
  5. Jan 9, 2005 #4
    Ahhh, thank you, that makes sense
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?