Calculate Width of River Given Boat V, Time, Angle | Whered I Go Wrong?

• Thread starter egg man
  • Start date
In summary, the boat's velocity is 11.68 km/hr and the distance it travels across the river is 2.98 km, assuming a 30 degree angle and a time of 15.3 minutes. The river's velocity does not affect the boat's movement in this case.
egg man
a river flows at a speed Vr=5.84 km/hr with respect to shore. a boat needs to go perpendicular to the shoreline to reach a pier across the river. the boat heads upstream at an angle of 30 degrees. if the time taken for the boat to cross is 15.3 min, what is the width of the river?

okay, i know the actual velocity of the boat over the velocity of the river(5.84) equals 1/sin30. so the velocity of the boat equals 11.68 km/hr. i divide by 60 and i get .195km/min. i multiply by 15.3 and get 2.98km. but that's not right. Pleeaaaase help

Physics news on Phys.org
What I would do is break the vector velocities into "components". If the boat is aimed at 30 degrees (to the perpendicular) with speed Vr, then the x and y components of the velocityh vector are Vr cos(30) and Vr sin(30) respectively.
At that speed, the distance he goes (across the river- ignore the up or downstream motion) is Vr cos(30)*t= (5.84)(cos(30))(15.3).

Notice that the speed of the river doesn't come into this! That would, of course, affect what angle we have to aim upstream but we are, apparently, told that this was 30 degrees.

First of all, great job on calculating the velocity of the boat! That is an important step in solving this problem. However, it seems like you may have made a small mistake in your final calculation. Let's break down the steps to find the width of the river:

1. Convert the boat's velocity from km/hr to km/min: Since we are given the time in minutes, it would be easier to have the boat's velocity in km/min. So, we divide 11.68 km/hr by 60 to get 0.195 km/min.

2. Use the time and boat's velocity to find the distance traveled by the boat: We know that the boat traveled for 15.3 minutes at a velocity of 0.195 km/min. So, we can multiply these two numbers to get the distance traveled by the boat, which is 2.98 km.

3. Use trigonometry to find the width of the river: Now, we can use the distance traveled by the boat, the velocity of the river, and the angle of 30 degrees to set up a right triangle. The distance traveled by the boat is the adjacent side, the velocity of the river is the opposite side, and the width of the river is the hypotenuse. So, we can use the formula tan(theta) = opposite/adjacent to find the width of the river.

tan(30 degrees) = 5.84 km/hr / 0.195 km/min

tan(30 degrees) = 29.9

width of the river = opposite side = 29.9 * 2.98 km = 89.1 km

So, the width of the river is approximately 89.1 km. I hope this helps clarify where you went wrong in your calculation. Keep up the good work!

1. How do I calculate the width of a river given boat velocity, time, and angle?

To calculate the width of a river, you will need to use a basic trigonometric formula: width = boat velocity x time x sin(angle). This formula takes into account the velocity of the boat, the time it takes to cross the river, and the angle at which the boat is traveling.

2. What units should I use for boat velocity, time, and angle?

It is important to use consistent units when using the formula to calculate the width of a river. Boat velocity should typically be measured in miles per hour (mph) or meters per second (m/s), time should be measured in hours or seconds, and angle should be measured in degrees.

3. Can this formula be used for any river?

Yes, this formula can be used for any river as long as the boat velocity, time, and angle are accurately measured. However, it is important to note that this formula assumes a straight path across the river. If the river has a curved path, the width calculation may not be accurate.

4. What if I do not have a boat velocity measurement?

If you do not have a boat velocity measurement, you can estimate it by using the average speed of a typical boat. However, keep in mind that this may affect the accuracy of the width calculation. It is best to use an actual boat velocity measurement if possible.

5. What other factors should I consider when calculating the width of a river?

When using this formula, it is important to consider any external factors that may affect the width of the river. These factors include wind speed and direction, water current, and any obstacles in the river such as rocks or debris. These factors may impact the time and angle measurements and should be taken into account for a more accurate calculation.