1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where's the change?

1. Nov 13, 2005 #1
    Three men go to a hotel and decide to share a room. The room costs $30 per night, so they each leave $10 at reception and head upstairs.

Later the concierge recalls that tonight is the twenty-five-dollar special. He gives the bell hop exactly five one-dollar coins(/notes, depends on your currency!).

The bell hop arrives at the room and explains the special. The men realise there is no easy way to share the 5 coins between them, so they keep one dollar each and give the bell hop a $2 tip.

Later, one of the men exclaims: "Wait, we got $1 back each, right? Well, that means we paid $9 each for the room, right? (Our original $10 each minus the dollar we got back.) Now, three nines is 27, plus the $2 tip gives $29. Where'd the other dollar go!?!"

Where, indeed, did the extra dollar go?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2005 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Oh this is so old :P

4. Nov 13, 2005 #3
    I concur.

5. Nov 13, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Its fairly obvious that the 2nd man ate the money

6. Nov 14, 2005 #5
    Government tax.

7. Nov 14, 2005 #6
    try thinking of it this way: 3 guys go to rent a room. it costs 25 a night. to make it even they each pay 9 dollars and say keep the change. 3*9=27total=25rent+2tip. they didn't pay 27+2.

8. Nov 14, 2005 #7
    Must be a sign of the times, these 3 guys used to just go out for a meal, now they're sharing a room for the night!

9. Nov 14, 2005 #8
    It's easy! the question is set up to mislead you... it's really like this... 30$ is payed... 5$ is given back (now we're at 25$ payed) ... 3 dollars are kept (now we're at 28!) 2 dollar tip! wala... 30$... each man does not actually pay the even 9 dollars each :P... but where indeed... does that extra penny go? It's only 25 dollars for the room! Why would they each pay 9 dollars? :P 8.33X3 is 24.99, kept 3, 27.99, 2 tip... 29.99... where is the extra penny? haha i suck at my futile attempts to keep this going.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2005
  10. May 6, 2006 #9
    I am just a normal housewife.....no big education....but I would use the debit/credit theory....
    debit.....$27 disbursed collectively from the 3 men

credit....$25 for the room and $2 tip.....

No extra dollar floating around:rolleyes:

11. May 6, 2006 #10

dav2008

Gold Member

It's on wolfram's bed :rofl:

12. May 18, 2006 #11

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's such an evil problem. They count the tip twice, it was already included in the 27$ and for some reason they add it again.

13. May 19, 2006 #12
    Werd.
    It's an easy problem :)

However, I should try to get some people with that type of logic....hmm

14. May 24, 2006 #13
    I was a bit perplexed a first, I was wondering why he added the two dollars to 27 when he should have been subtracting it to get the cost of the room. Funny, misleading the person like so; I wonder how many of my friends will fall for it?

15. Jun 7, 2006 #14

Mk

So how do I explain this to everybody so I sound smart?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?