Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where's the fish?

1. Oct 18, 2005 #1
    This took me a while to figure out so good luck:) if you've seen this already let those who don't know it answer

Supposedly this is on the entrance exam to MIT, allegedly it was created by einstien.. who knows...

Let us assume there are 5 houses of different colors next to each other on the same road. In each house lives a man of a different nationality. Every man has his favorite drink, his favorite brand of cigarettes, and keeps pets of a particular kind.

The Englishman lives in a red house
    the Swede keeps dogs
    The Dane drinks tea
    The green house is just to the left of the white house
    The owner of the green house drinks coffee
    The Pall Mall smoker keeps birds
    The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunn Hills
    The man in the center house drinks milk
    The Norwegian lives in the first house
    The Blend smoker has a neighbor who keeps cats
    The man who smokes blue Masters drinks bier
    The man who keeps horses lives next door to the Dunhill smoker
    The German smokes Prince
    The Norwegian lives next to the blue house
    The Blend smoker has a neighbor who drinks water

So who has the fish?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2005 #2
    I just checked and this seems to be a popular one, so I'm sure a lot of you have seen this already. If you haven't, don't look it up:grumpy:
  4. Oct 18, 2005 #3

Staff: Mentor

Seen it and figured it out. (drawing the houses and labeling them makes it easier) I will keep quiet. Fun puzzle.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2005
  5. Oct 18, 2005 #4
    supposedly if you can figure it out, you're in the top 2 percent intelligence wise- not sure I buy into that:P
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2005
  6. Oct 19, 2005 #5
    The coffe drinking, Prince smoking, green house living German has the fish
  7. Oct 19, 2005 #6
    Answer in white: Who's to say that any of them has a fish? Not a single clue mentions one.This puzzle has appeared before in this forum.
  8. Oct 19, 2005 #7

Staff: Mentor

Actually I have been tested and I am in the top 2 percent. :grumpy: :devil:
  9. Oct 19, 2005 #8
    Ok well I guess this is an old puzzle that is a repost, so just throw your answer in white if you want to respond

evo you rock:biggrin:

Edit: let's just assume there's a fish, mmkayyy?
  10. Oct 19, 2005 #9
    If you do, then you lose the Einstein angle. He made his fame by identifying an unjustifiable assumption, the absolute nature of time and space. You also lose the 2% angle. As a straightforward logic puzzle, it is no harder than the ones you find at the checkout counter of the grocery.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2005
  11. Oct 20, 2005 #10
    I must agree with Jimmy. I guess Einstein is laughing out how answers to his riddle (if this was really his?) has really turned out to his whims that is 98% answered wrongly and only 2% has answered that this riddle cannot be solved unless one has to assume. Many (98%) has pointed a direct answer-some varies too...but only a few (2%) realized that the riddle is an 'unjustifiable assumption' as you said.

What do you think what was on Einstein's mind by hanging the question: 'Who has the fish?' and not 'Assuming the somebody has a pet fish, then who has the fish?'.

Einstein LOVES to joke and riddle, and should this riddle be a joke instead? What do you think?
  12. Oct 20, 2005 #11
    ...siguro joke lang yan!!! :rofl: :biggrin:
  13. Oct 20, 2005 #12
    I remeber when this was posted a couple of months ago. Took me about 20 minutes.
  14. Oct 20, 2005 #13
    I guess I missed the point of the riddle, becaues It took me longer to work out the answer to who doesn't have a pet, than it did to realize that no where is mentioned a fish. that's the easy part.
  15. Oct 22, 2005 #14
    I've seen this before on another forum and figured it out, it's a fun puzzle. Took me about 10 minutes if I remember correctly (back in Elementary school I did hundreds of these, since it was the only thing my teachers had that was remotely challenging).
    The first place I saw this puzzle posted, more than half got it. Statistics like that are often made up.
  16. Oct 25, 2005 #15

17. Nov 7, 2005 #16
    one more thing i notice, we assume fish as pet, fish could be name of a drink or ciggarate. Then we assume that fish is a pet.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?