1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Whether or not the particle performs complete oscillations?

1. Mar 1, 2005 #1
    If you have a particle that is attached to two elastic strings moving with SHM. How can I determine whether or not the particle performs complete oscillations?

For example I have a particle that's at a point equidistant from A and B (which are the ends of the two strings), and say that the the point where the particle is at equilibrium is 2m from point A (and 3m from point B). If the particle is given a speed V when its at the midpoint of A and B towards the point of equilibrium, say it performs SHM with acceleration a=-(g/k)x. How can I determine using the information I have what I need for the particle to perform complete oscillations? Like, for example, if u^2<3gk then the particle will perform complete oscillations. (The values I used are examples and aren't correct.)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What do you mean by "complete" oscillations?

4. Mar 1, 2005 #3
    Nevermind, I got it. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook