1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Whether to give PGRE or N

1. Jul 25, 2015 #1
    I would like to know whether or not it is mandatory to give PGRE after my bachelors in engineering to shift to masters in physics?
    i am in the third year of engineering and pursuing a degree in nanotechnology but the recent exposure in the hard sciences has encouraged to change my field from engineering to physics, is it possible to change my field of study?

I'm really good at engineering, i usually score an A grade in all the subjects (Excluding mathematics where i score a B) So on improving my math is it possible to enroll into the theoretical physics branch?

After a careful research i have seen that the math done in undergraduate physics courses is the same as the math in engineering, (but the math in engineering is a bit into the application aspects).

If i decide to study in Germany or USA, is it mandatory to give PGRE or only GRE is enough to get me into a good college for my masters program in physics?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2015 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This depends on the university you are applying to.

4. Jul 25, 2015 #3
    I want to enroll in the best university i can get, can you suggest some?

5. Jul 25, 2015 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

People getting into the best universities are usually the people who can research this information by themselves.

6. Jul 25, 2015 #5
    Most of the better shools will look more highly on an application that includes a high PGRE score than one that does not, especially if your BS is in a different field.

7. Jul 26, 2015 #6
    Actually, I have no idea about the requirements to enroll into those colleges because i'm from INDIA.
    And i have been told that GRE would be enough to get into the best universites instead of giving both PGRE and GRE, is it true?

8. Jul 26, 2015 #7

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, you have internet connection. Search for your desired university website and in particular the desired department. The admission requirements are usually given under the "prospective students" section. Example: http://web.mit.edu/physics/prospective/graduate/index.html.

9. Jul 26, 2015 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The very same internet that you are using to ask us to do the work for you is the internet that lets you do the work yourself. This information is listed on the web sites of the schools you are interested in. You will certainly get this information sooner by looking it up on those sites than by waiting for one of us to look it up on each of these sites and post it here.

10. Jul 26, 2015 #9

eri

Keep in mind that many US schools do not consider a bachelors from India equivalent to a bachelors from the US. Many will require you do a masters in India before applying for graduate work in the US.

Additionally, the best schools don't offer terminal masters degrees. It's a PhD or nothing. And almost all of them will require the PGRE and all the GRE, regardless of your background (mostly because of it, really).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook