Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Whether uracil was an amino acid or not

1. Jun 30, 2004 #1

jimmy p

Gold Member

I while back (in the distant days when i was in education...I'm a day out of education now!!) we were studying amino acids in chemistry, and I asked my chemistry teacher whether uracil was an amino acid or not. She didnt know but said she would find out, which she didnt, so I am asking the experts now!

"Is uracil an amino acid?" :approve:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2004 #2

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No uracil is a nitrogenous pyrimidine base found in RNA but not DNA. In double-stranded RNA it pairs with adenine. In DNA, uracil is replaced by thymine.

4. Jun 30, 2004 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Uracil is a base found in RNA and is derived from pyrimidine, it contains nitrogen but no amino group (NH2) so it's not an amino acid.

5. Jun 30, 2004 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

YEH! I wanted to answer :grumpy: :tongue2:

6. Jun 30, 2004 #5

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You snooze you lose :biggrin:

7. Jun 30, 2004 #6

jimmy p

Gold Member

So it is a fake??? what a clever thing protein synthesis is. That doesnt really make much sense though, what is the point in thymine? Why is uracil better?

8. Jun 30, 2004 #7
    Uracil isn't 'superior' to Thymine on a whole, but each have their advantages in each situation.
    Thymine is present in DNA - the encoded information for synthesis of proteins, while it is replaced by uracil in mRNA/tRNA/rRNA.
    While i'm not sure of the reason for it i would expect thymine possibly holds the DNA together in a more stable manner (as it is storage) and uracil holds some advantage in attracting the anticodons carrying amino acids to the ribosomes. Perhaps uracil exhibits a greater electronegativity?
    Who knows.., that's merely my uninformed ramblings, perhaps the mentors can clear this up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?