Whether uracil was an amino acid or not

• Thread starter jimmy p
  • Start date
jimmy p
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

I while back (in the distant days when i was in education...I'm a day out of education now!!) we were studying amino acids in chemistry, and I asked my chemistry teacher whether uracil was an amino acid or not. She didnt know but said she would find out, which she didnt, so I am asking the experts now!

"Is uracil an amino acid?" :approve:

Answers and Replies

iansmith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
No uracil is a nitrogenous pyrimidine base found in RNA but not DNA. In double-stranded RNA it pairs with adenine. In DNA, uracil is replaced by thymine.

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Uracil is a base found in RNA and is derived from pyrimidine, it contains nitrogen but no amino group (NH2) so it's not an amino acid.

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
YEH! I wanted to answer :grumpy: :tongue2:

iansmith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You snooze you lose :biggrin:

jimmy p
Gold Member
So it is a fake??? what a clever thing protein synthesis is. That doesnt really make much sense though, what is the point in thymine? Why is uracil better?

jimmy p said:
So it is a fake??? what a clever thing protein synthesis is. That doesnt really make much sense though, what is the point in thymine? Why is uracil better?
Uracil isn't 'superior' to Thymine on a whole, but each have their advantages in each situation.
Thymine is present in DNA - the encoded information for synthesis of proteins, while it is replaced by uracil in mRNA/tRNA/rRNA.
While i'm not sure of the reason for it i would expect thymine possibly holds the DNA together in a more stable manner (as it is storage) and uracil holds some advantage in attracting the anticodons carrying amino acids to the ribosomes. Perhaps uracil exhibits a greater electronegativity?
Who knows.., that's merely my uninformed ramblings, perhaps the mentors can clear this up.