1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which annuity formula to use?

Tags:
  1. Nov 27, 2005 #1
    A father opened a savings account for his daughter on the day she was born, depositing $1000. Each year on her birthday he deposits another $1000, making the last deposit on her twenty-first birthday. If the account pays 9.5% interest compounded annually, how much is in the account at the end of the day on the daughter's twenty first birthday?

For this question, which formula do i use?
    ordinary annuity: where payments are made at end of time period
    or
    annuities due: where payments are made at beginning of time period
    ???

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2005 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You use the simple equation for compound interest and apply it to each deposit made over the course of 21 years --- and then add them all up. :)

4. Nov 27, 2005 #3
    but this section is about annuity...ordinary annuity and annuities due are the two equations. Out of these two, which one should i use?

5. Nov 27, 2005 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Tell us how your textbook defines those terms! :)

6. Nov 28, 2005 #5
    ordinary annuities: those with payments made at the end of each time period.

annuities due: annuities in which payments are made at the beginning of each time period.

7. Nov 28, 2005 #6

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good. And the father is making payments at the beginning of each compounding period ... therefore ...? :)

8. Nov 28, 2005 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

9. Nov 28, 2005 #8
    okay...so i use the annuity due formula....
    thx.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?