Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Which annuity formula to use?

Tags:
  1. Nov 27, 2005 #1
    A father opened a savings account for his daughter on the day she was born, depositing $1000. Each year on her birthday he deposits another $1000, making the last deposit on her twenty-first birthday. If the account pays 9.5% interest compounded annually, how much is in the account at the end of the day on the daughter's twenty first birthday?

For this question, which formula do i use?
    ordinary annuity: where payments are made at end of time period
    or
    annuities due: where payments are made at beginning of time period
    ???

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2005 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You use the simple equation for compound interest and apply it to each deposit made over the course of 21 years --- and then add them all up. :)

4. Nov 27, 2005 #3
    but this section is about annuity...ordinary annuity and annuities due are the two equations. Out of these two, which one should i use?

5. Nov 27, 2005 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Tell us how your textbook defines those terms! :)

6. Nov 28, 2005 #5
    ordinary annuities: those with payments made at the end of each time period.

annuities due: annuities in which payments are made at the beginning of each time period.

7. Nov 28, 2005 #6

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good. And the father is making payments at the beginning of each compounding period ... therefore ...? :)

8. Nov 28, 2005 #7

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

9. Nov 28, 2005 #8
    okay...so i use the annuity due formula....
    thx.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook