1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which axis rigid body rotate?

1. Apr 16, 2013 #1
    hi.
    I have an essential question. Suppose we have an complex shape at complete rest freely in space. There exist no forces at all. If we collide it in a point, at which axis it will be rotate? How I find it?
    I want the answer be in general and for all shapes.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

In general, it is complicated.
    Both momentum and angular momentum are conserved, but the rotation axis of the object can change in time.

4. Apr 16, 2013 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi hamidjan! welcome to pf! :smile:

let's keep it simple by assuming that the other body sticks to it after the collision

then you use conservation of angular momentum about its centre of mass …

the initial angular momentum will be r x mv of the other body

the final angular momentum will be the same

now use the moment of inertia tensor to convert the angular momentum vector to the angular velocity vector

(surprisingly, they're not parallel unless the angular momentum is along a principal axis: otherwise, the angular velocity vector rotates about the angular momentum vector)

the (variable) axis of rotation, of course, is along the angular velocity vector :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook