Which book should I buy to understand Maxwell's Equations deeply

In summary, it is recommended to use Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics for a comprehensive understanding of the subject. For a more fundamental understanding, a QFT text is necessary. Schwartz's Principles of Electrodynamics is a good source for a modern view on the foundations. Landau and Lifshitz's Classical Theory of Fields is also a good option, but may require additional reading on Electrodynamics of Continuous Media. Griffith's Introduction to Electrodynamics is a good introductory textbook. Other recommended books include No-Nonsense Electrodynamics by Schwichtenberg, Special Relativity and Classical Field Theory by Susskind, A Student's Guide to Maxwell's Equations by Fleisch, and The Classical Theory of Fields by Landau and Lifsh
guiablo
I've already done Maxwell's equations in class but I would like another point of view, and to have a physical reference to check anytime I have a doubt, so I would like a quite high lvl electrodymacis book but that does not focus only in concrete subjects, I mean a book that covers al the essential with deep mathematical and physics treatment.

I've been recomended:

Classical electrodynamics by Jhon David Jackson
The typical feyman lectures
Electricity and Magnetism by Nayfeh and Brussel
Principles of Electrodynamics by Schwartz

I would like to hear you opinions, on which book you think is the best and why.

[Mentors' note: This post has been edited to remove some discussion of which of these books can be most easily stolen.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jackson’s book is all you need for classical electrodynamics, it’s about as comprehensive as a textbook can get. However if you’re looking to understand Electrodynamics on a more fundamental level...you’ll need a QFT text for that.

Likes guiablo and BvU
Well, Jackson is great, but I think a very important point is to get a more modern view on the foundations, i.e., the relativistic description. Schwartz is an excellent source for this. Then there's of course Landau&Lifshitz vol. 2, which comes to the point much quicker ;-)).

Likes guiablo and dRic2
I love Schwartz’s book, but it is not as comprehensive as Jackson or L&L. Use it as a supplement. If you choose L&L instead, then you need to add Electrodynamics of Continuous Media (vol. 8) to vol. 2 (Classical Theory of Fields), to fully cover E&M.

Likes guiablo and vanhees71
I also support Jackson. The book has a lot of details and also takes time to develop at most of the necessary maths.

Well Schwartz is good for a first foray into classical electrodynamics at the undergrad level, Jackson is much more advanced and does not hold back on the mathematics.

Likes guiablo
HomogenousCow said:
Well Schwartz is good for a first foray into classical electrodynamics at the undergrad level, Jackson is much more advanced and does not hold back on the mathematics.
I think OP specifically mentioned:

guiablo said:
I mean a book that covers al the essential with deep mathematical and physics treatment.

Likes guiablo
HomogenousCow said:
Jackson’s book is all you need for classical electrodynamics, it’s about as comprehensive as a textbook can get. However if you’re looking to understand Electrodynamics on a more fundamental level...you’ll need a QFT text for that.

I don't really know what you mean by QFT, I'm not english so maybe it's an abreviation i haven't used, can someone translate it for a poor boy like me, tyy.

Well it seems I'll go for Jackson's one then, and I'll try to get Schwartz as well in the future, thanks a lot.

P.d. anyone know Inteoduction to Electrodynamics by David J.Griffiths? Any thought?

guiablo said:
don't really know what you mean by QFT
A little googling can change that.

Griffiths is good -- Jackson may be too ambitious.

BvU said:
A little googling can change that.
Done, I get it, Jackson will be, I thought it was some type of techical term.

Well I am quite an ambitious person soo, I'll check Griffith's in the library but i think I'm going to keep with Jackson's ty

Griffith's electrodynamics book is a pretty good introductory textbook.

Likes guiablo

1. What are Maxwell's Equations?

Maxwell's Equations are a set of four fundamental equations in classical electromagnetism that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.

2. Why is it important to understand Maxwell's Equations?

Maxwell's Equations are crucial for understanding the fundamental principles of electricity and magnetism, and they have many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and telecommunications.

3. What book is recommended for understanding Maxwell's Equations deeply?

The book "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths is highly recommended for understanding Maxwell's Equations in depth. It is widely used in undergraduate and graduate courses in electromagnetism.

4. Are there any other resources besides books for understanding Maxwell's Equations?

Yes, there are many online resources such as lecture notes, videos, and interactive simulations that can help in understanding Maxwell's Equations. Some universities also offer online courses on electromagnetism.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to understand Maxwell's Equations?

A basic understanding of calculus and vector calculus is necessary for understanding Maxwell's Equations. However, many resources, including the recommended book, provide a thorough explanation of the mathematical concepts involved.