Exploring the Beauty of Math Through Aerospace Engineering

In summary, the conversation is about a person who is looking for recommendations for physics and mathematics readings before starting an aerospace engineering course. They prefer books that are more of a broad but shallow scientific reading rather than textbooks with theorems and formulas. Some suggestions are given, including popularizations and books by Paul Nahin, an electrical engineer. There is also a discussion about Nahin's book on chases. The person thanks the others for their suggestions and plans to try some of them.
greg_rack
Gold Member
Hi guys,
I'm 18 and about to start an aerospace engineering course.
I'd like to have a few cool physics and mathematics-oriented readings before starting the course... both as preparation and as an encouragement.

One thing I must tell you is that I totally prefer studying physics over pure mathematics, and that would be amazing to read a book that approaches me to the beauty of maths without delving too deep into addressed topics.

Generally, I'm not looking for a textbook with theorems and formulas, but rather more a pleasant broad-but-shallow scientific reading.
Hope I'm not asking too much, thanks in advance for any advice :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure if they are too advanced for you, but you might try looking at
Longair Theoretical Concepts in Physics
Susskind Theoretical Minimum books
You should look to see if you can follow what they are saying, not if you understand everything.

Mermin It’s About Time

They are more engineering books, but I enjoyed these popularizations
Gordon New Science of Strong Materials
Finkel Portrait of a Crack
Glass Shock Waves and Man

Thre are also the out of print Van Nostrand Momentum Books if you are lucky enough that they picked a topic of interest to you

Oxford also has a series on Very Short Introductions -some of them are on technical topics written by scientists. I have several.

On a nonstandard topic, you might try Dimensional Analysis by Bridgman.

BTW, for collecting textbooks abebooks is your friend.

Last edited:
Likes greg_rack
Paul Nahin (a retired electrical engineer, I think in New Hampshire) has written a series of excellent books, for students who have the basics in math and calculus and maybe a little differential equations or probability, but no higher math. Most are available at your local Barnes and Noble, but some may need to be ordered.

The exercises (many using the computer) have solutions right in the book, including MATLAB code. I cannot say it is a easy read, but I enjoy the texts greatly. He has a good engineer point of view as well as the physics and math.

Likes greg_rack
mpresic3 said:
Paul Nahin (a retired electrical engineer, I think in New Hampshire) has written a series of excellent books, for students who have the basics in math and calculus and maybe a little differential equations or probability, but no higher math. Most are available at your local Barnes and Noble, but some may need to be ordered.

The exercises (many using the computer) have solutions right in the book, including MATLAB code. I cannot say it is a easy read, but I enjoy the texts greatly. He has a good engineer point of view as well as the physics and math.

Have you read his book about chases? If so, any thoughts on it?

I own the book and I have thumbed through it and skimmed it. I think it is really good. I cannot say I read it. The math looks more difficult than some of his other books. I have taken courses in missile guidance before and this looks true to life.

Likes Frabjous
I’ll give it a try. Thanks.

Thanks a lot guys for the suggestions @caz @mpresic3!
I'll definitely give a few a try

Correction to Nahin's books. I think the latest book Cold Electrons, Hot Molecules might be at a more advanced mathematical level than some of his earlier work. None of these books are easy. I hear Ian Stewart has a few good books. I do not own any and haven't read any yet.

1. What is the relationship between math and aerospace engineering?

The beauty of math is evident in the field of aerospace engineering as it is the foundation of all engineering principles. From calculating the trajectory of a rocket to designing the shape of an airplane wing, math is essential in every aspect of aerospace engineering.

2. How does aerospace engineering use math to explore the beauty of outer space?

Aerospace engineers use math to design and build spacecraft that can withstand the harsh conditions of outer space. They use equations and calculations to determine the necessary speed, angle, and trajectory for a spacecraft to reach its destination. Math also helps in understanding the laws of physics that govern space travel.

3. What are some specific examples of how math is used in aerospace engineering?

Math is used in aerospace engineering for a variety of purposes, such as designing the shape and size of aircraft and spacecraft components, determining fuel consumption and efficiency, and predicting the behavior of materials under extreme conditions. It is also used in navigation, control systems, and simulations.

4. How does the beauty of math contribute to the advancement of aerospace engineering?

The beauty of math lies in its ability to provide precise and accurate solutions to complex problems. In aerospace engineering, this is crucial as even the slightest miscalculation can have disastrous consequences. By harnessing the power of math, aerospace engineers can push the boundaries of technology and innovation, leading to advancements in the field.

5. Can anyone appreciate the beauty of math through aerospace engineering?

Absolutely! While some may find math intimidating, the beauty of math can be appreciated by anyone, regardless of their background or level of understanding. Aerospace engineering is a fascinating field that showcases the practical applications of math and its ability to unlock the secrets of the universe.