Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which books have you read?

1. Hyperspace

22 vote(s)
    78.6%
  2. Visions

8 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Beyond Einstein

11 vote(s)
    39.3%
  4. Introduction to Superstrings and M-Theory

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. Strings, Conformal Fields, and M-Theory

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  6. Quantum Field Theory: A Modern Introduction

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  7. Medal of Dishonor

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  8. Nuclear Power: Both Sides

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  9. Weapons in Space

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Sep 3, 2003 #1

Greg Bernhardt

Staff: Admin

Which books have you read?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2003 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I read hyperspace and liked it - of its kind.

I have his quantum field theory book and it's interesting, when I was trying to learn QFT by myself, I didn't like the book since, as I see now, it was aimed over my head. Now that I have learned some QFT, I like it a lot better. It's got the breadth to be a useful book on your shelf - you can find something in it about almost any question in QFT that comes up. Admittedly it doesn't go very deep, but usually that's not a problem, I don't want a deep explanation, just a point in the right direction.

4. Sep 5, 2003 #3
    I read Hyperspace, Visions, and Beyond Einstein. I like Beyond Einstein and Visions, but I couldn't really get into Hyperspace. Don't get me wrong, it was a fine book, but I think that The Elegant Universe covers M-Theory in a way that appeals to me more, and that alot of what was said in Hyperspace - both what was said about the author and what was said about hyperspace itself - I had already either heard in Michio Kaku's lecture, "Journey Through the Tenth Dimension", or read in Beyond Einstein.

5. Sep 23, 2003 #4
    i read visions and hyperspace... id read more but my stinky library doesnt carry all his books anyways.... my fave was visions, i luv thinking about the future
    hyperspace was really good too, it got me into quantum physics, now i can point out all the broken laws of physics on stargate :wink: thank you michio kaku!

6. Oct 2, 2003 #5
    Only Hyperspace and Visions as of yet, and I'm not even through with the Visions. But WOW, do I love the book so far. It's got to be one of the best "prediction" type books I've ever read.

7. May 8, 2004 #6
    Only Hyperspace...

But I am about to order some more of his books off of Amazon in a day or so... I think I'll pick up Visions, Beyond Einstein, Nuclear Power: Both Sides, and maybe one or two others....

I've been saving up my money for weeks :biggrin:

8. May 8, 2004 #7
    Hyperspace was a revelation For me

As I was learning about things with regards to the Friedmann equation and the curvature parmeters, Michio explanations help to solidify the vision of the world of movement in regard to things hyperbolic, spherical, and flat.

This vision is very dynamical, and my exchanges with some here, helped me to see what happen when Einstein looked at Reinmann. Grossman's help here, and with people like Gauss, the world changed, from the early days of Giralamo Sacherri. This is part of the consistancy of geometry.

The fifth postulate made sense then from this perspective and the departure from Euclidean to non-euclidean. I am very glad to have such people who can guide us with very lucid and clear explanations as Michio does.

Soon after the work of Bolyai and Lobachevsky, others constructed models of hyperbolic geometry within Euclidean space. By renaming certain geometric objects from Euclidean space as the lines and circles, people developed systems in which all of Euclid's postulates hold except that there were infinitely many non-intersecting lines, violating the parallel postulate. These models, all isometric, verify the existence of hyperbolic geometry. As Courant and Robbins state in "What is Mathematics," "This must, eo ipso, be just as consistent as the original Euclidean geometry, because it is presented to us, seen from another point of view and described with other words, as a body of facts of ordinary Euclidean geometry."[C]

http://www.geom.uiuc.edu/docs/forum/hype/hype.html

Last edited: May 8, 2004
  9. May 8, 2004 #8
    Nuclear Power - Both Sides

I read at least some of Nuclear Power: Both Sides, since it had a chapter by Bernard Cohen. I don't think I read the whole thing, though.

This points to another question, however: why would people read books when they can just read writings on the internet? What is special about a book? Are books not like audio record albums, where once people have the option of downloading the tracks (or chapters) individually, the concept of albums (or books as collections of chapters) is abandoned?

10. May 9, 2004 #9
    Because books you can read at school.. And if the book is small enough, it fits perfectly well inside your grammar textbook :rofl:

I mean, I guess you could take each printed out chapter individually to school.. But then people would be asking you what you're reading.. And that already happens enough when ever I take my Hyperspace book to school..

11. May 10, 2004 #10
    Discrete head-mounted displays

Not a problem -- computer displays fit discretely inside your glasses, and keyboards/mice fit discretely in the palm of one hand.

I would ask you why you destroyed perfectly good text by printing it out instead of reading it on an electronic display.

12. May 11, 2004 #11
    As cool as that option seems.. I don't have the money to use it...

And I'd just prefer to use the actual book...

13. May 12, 2004 #12
    I've only read Hyperspace, unfortunately. But, I do plan on reading more of his stuff, since he's the one that got me into it in the first place. I'm not exactly sure as to what I should start with. Perhaps Visions or Beyond Einstein, is what I'm thinking.

14. May 14, 2004 #13
    Woohoo..

I just ordered Visions, Einstein's Cosmos (both by Kaku), The Universe in a Nutshell (Hawking), and The Elegant Universe (Brian Greene, I think) off of Amazon.com

15. May 14, 2004 #14

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Wow! Be sure to tell us how you like them.

16. May 14, 2004 #15
    I just want to know how Einstein's Cosmos and The Elegant Universe are. Try to read them first.

17. May 14, 2004 #16
    I plan on reading the books in this order:

Einstein's Cosmos
    The Elegant Universe
    Visions
    The Universe in a Nutshell

18. May 19, 2004 #17
    wootniss.. my books came in... The Elegant Universe ... Einstein's Cosmos ... The Universe in a Nutshell ... and ... Visions .... plus i bought The Illustrated Theory of Everything yesterday at Books A Million..

19. May 19, 2004 #18
    Sounds like you're going to be busy for a while.

20. May 22, 2004 #19
    Im reading The Elegant Universe right now. Pretty good so far, but it's my first ever science book that I've read. Hehe, yeah I'm a newb ;) My first post too btw. Hi :)

21. May 22, 2004 #20

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You've made one swell start.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?