Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculators Which calculator to get? Ti-89, or HP49G+?

1. Ti-89

6 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. HP49G+

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Jul 23, 2004 #1
    Well, this August I will be an incoming freshman at college. I placed out of calculus 1 and 2, and will be starting with multivariable calculus, and then differential equations. I am well aware that professors do not allow the use of calculators on exams, but would still like to have one for myself. Should I get the Ti-89 (regular or titanium, only difference is memory), or the HP49G+? I am asking this, because a lot of people have recently told me that the HP is better than the Ti, whereas I am used to using a Ti-89. Thanks in advance. I would prefer answers given to have an explanation, and someone with experience with both would be ideal.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2004 #2
    To be fair, I haven't used the HP, but I can certainly recommend the TI-89.I have used the TI Voyage200, which is essentially a TI-89 with a full QWERTY alphanumerical keypad rather than an ABCDEF keypad, for over a year now, and the more I use it, the more I think it's amazingly most excellent.
    Seriously, though, it is.

4. Jul 23, 2004 #3
    In electrical engineering it's much more useful a TI 89
    In civil/mechanical engineering I've heard that the HP rocks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?