1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculators Which calculator to get? Ti-89, or HP49G+?

1. Ti-89

6 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. HP49G+

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Jul 23, 2004 #1
    Well, this August I will be an incoming freshman at college. I placed out of calculus 1 and 2, and will be starting with multivariable calculus, and then differential equations. I am well aware that professors do not allow the use of calculators on exams, but would still like to have one for myself. Should I get the Ti-89 (regular or titanium, only difference is memory), or the HP49G+? I am asking this, because a lot of people have recently told me that the HP is better than the Ti, whereas I am used to using a Ti-89. Thanks in advance. I would prefer answers given to have an explanation, and someone with experience with both would be ideal.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2004 #2
    To be fair, I haven't used the HP, but I can certainly recommend the TI-89.I have used the TI Voyage200, which is essentially a TI-89 with a full QWERTY alphanumerical keypad rather than an ABCDEF keypad, for over a year now, and the more I use it, the more I think it's amazingly most excellent.
    Seriously, though, it is.

4. Jul 23, 2004 #3
    In electrical engineering it's much more useful a TI 89
    In civil/mechanical engineering I've heard that the HP rocks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?